Chapter 25

"Never underestimate your enemy." Kreese walked around the mat, All of us standing around it. "Even if you think they're weaker than you, you have to stay one step ahead of them." 

"That's the only way to guarantee a victory." He continued. "Is that understood?" 

"yes, Sensei!" 

"Good. Now let's see if you truly understand the lesson." He walked up to a potted tree that sat on top of a tree post. "I want you to kick this tree off the top." He pointed to it. "Red, you start." 

The ginger nodded, walking a little closer to the tree. He then got into a fighting position and tried to kick the tree, but his pants ripped. He fell to the floor. 

"Pathetic." Kreese crossed his arms. "Rickenburger, show him." 

He nodded and tried to do a spinning-kick to kick the pant off, but failed. He fell to the floor as well. 

"Stop your sniveling." Kreese told him. 

"I can do it, Sensei." I spoke up. 

"Well, what're you waiting for?" He encouraged. 

I walked up to the post and looked at it. 

"Don't you want a running start?" He asked. 

"I don't need one." I shrugged. I then kicked the post, making it fall. The tree fell with it. 

Kreese chuckled. "Not bad. Not bad at all." I walked back to my spot, smiling at my work. 

"But she cheated." The guy who tried to do a spinning kick pointed at me. 

"No, she didn't. Unlike you, she did exactly what I asked her to do." Kreese told him, walking around the mat and looking at every kid.  "Your mind is agile, so are you. That's the best way to beat your enemy. Not just with brute strength."

He walked up to me. "But you have to fight smart." 

"Do that, and you'll always come out on top." 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sat with the Cobra Kais at lunch the next day, watching Hawk bounce his ball back and forth between his legs. The ginger walked up to him, recording the whole thing. 

"Hey, 22 in a row. New record." Hawk held his arms out. He then looked over at the table Demetri was sitting at, his face immediately falling. 

He then grabbed his ball, throwing it at his project. Everybody looked over and gasped. 

"I'm sorry man, my ball just got away from me." Hawk shrugged. 

"That took me three weeks to build." Demetri looked like he was about to explode. 

I walked over. "It took his ball three seconds to destroy." I chuckled. 

Hawk threw his arm around my shoulder and walked back to the table.