Chapter 8

We were in a junkyard today for practice. What for, you ask? To train for the tournament. I don't know how this is going to help us, and I'm not sure if I even trust Johnny. 

Johnny chugged his beer. "You've trained hard. You've gotten stronger, tougher, faster. You've done your best. You're ready for this tournament, am I right?" 

"Yes, Sensei!"

"No, Sensei!" Miguel hit my arm. "What?" I mumbled.

"You're right sparky." He pointed at me. "Your best ain't shit!" He threw his can at the ground, causing it to spew everywhere 

He walked back and forth across the top of an old school van ."If you wanna win the All Valley Under-18 Karate Tournament, You gotta give me better than your best. Which is why from now on, You're gonna get my worst. Do you Understand?" 

"Yes, Sensei!"

"Are You losers?" 

"No, Sensei!" 

"Are You Nerds?" 

"No, Sensei!"

"Are You Sure?"

"No, Sensei!"

He put his head in his hands.

We ran through tires.  "Move those feet. Go!"  Aisha went and tripped over a tire, making her fall onto the tire's and everyone fell on top of her. "Oh my Goodness."

We walked on a plank that was above broken car parts. "Come on princess. Let's go. Move that ass." He rushed Miguel. Hawk then went and as he went he tripped on the glass, almost falling in. "Theres nothing to fear except for fear itself. That, and falling in sharp metal and broken glass, so don't do that!"

We smashed the broken cars that were around us. I smashed every car I could find that wasn't already smashed, practically taking my anger out on them. "Good job Sparky!" 

We regrouped and Johnny handed us slim jims. " You wanna win? You gotta be hungry. You guys hungry?"

"Yes, Sensei!" 

He took a bite of his slim Jim. "Good. 'Cause so are they." He blew a quiet whistle, and dogs started barking and running toward us. Everybody started running. "Holy Shit, Sensei! Are You trying to kill us?!" I yelled, running in the direction Hawk was going.

"Don't be afraid! They smell fear." 

I managed to get on top of the truck, But hawk was struggling. I tried to help him up but the dog that was running after us managed to bite him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me and Miguel were the only ones at the dojo the next day. I was practicing my kicks on a dummy, while Miguel, very aggressively, practiced his punches on another dummy.