Confused

After saying our goodbyes to Andrea, and with the Governor nowhere to be found, we took the people of Woodbury who wanted to come with, back to the prison with us. I walked inside, directing them to the cells of C and D block. Noticing there were still quite a few people, I went to my cell and grabbed my bag, leaving it empty. Good thing I didn't unpack yet.

I walked over to Daryl's cell, after weeks of convincing him to stay in one, and watched as he placed his crossbow against the wall. "From this day forward I will be your roommate- or cellmate- again, isn't that great?" I grinned mischievously.

"What? Why?" He turned to me, confused.

"Well, there were more people than I thought, so I gave my cell up." I clarified.

"Can't you share with Beth or Carol?" He asked.

I shook my head. "Beth is sharing with Hershel, and with more people here now, Carol is keeping Judith in her cell since Rick and Carl share a cell. So it'd be too cramped with her and the baby."

Daryl let out a grunt. "Fine."

I dropped my bag onto the top bunk, crossing my arms. "Oh don't be like that, it'll be like old times." I joked, referring back to the road trip our group had after the farm fell.

I leaned against the wall as he sat on the bottom bunk, face going serious. "But what now? We have more people but the gates are destroyed..."

"We'll fix 'em." Daryl claimed as if it were that simple.

"Won't be easy." I countered, walking over to sit beside him. "Plus with the Governor MIA, it worries me. What if he comes back?" I sighed, leaning my head on his shoulder.

"Even if he does, he can't do anything. He's all by himself." Daryl replied.

"I don't like that he could be out there right now, watching all over us." I moved my head away to look him in the eye. "I don't want to lose this place... we lost enough."

"Then we'll look for him." He told me. Neither of us said anything as we kept staring at one another. I felt my face heat up as I realized how close we were as I felt his breath brush across my face.

Not sure if it was me or him, but next thing I know, was the feeling of his lips on mine. I felt my breath hitch in my throat as my eyes slowly closed, taking in the feeling. As fast as it happened, it ended. I looked into his eyes with surprise, not knowing what to say. After a couple of seconds, Daryl spoke up. "I should go see what Rick wants to do next."

I only nodded my head as he stood up and walked out the cell as I finally processed what just happened. Did I really just- I brought my fingers up to my lips. I shook my head, trying to clear my head. I stood up, climbing onto the top bunk and closed my eyes, exhausted from the events that happened yesterday.

I must've been more exhausted than I thought because when I woke up, it was the next day. I climbed out of the bunk, walking out the cell and headed to the common area. I said morning to some of the newcomers as I passed them, walking over to Carol. "Morning."

She turned to me and smiled. "Glad to see you finally decided to wake up."

"Why didn't anyone wake me up?" I asked, giving her a questioning gaze.

She let out a chuckle. "We tried a few times. After the third try we gave up, figuring we'd just let you wake up on your own."

I let out a hum in response, having my thoughts confirmed. "Guess I was right."

"Anyways, I'm going out to the fence to kill some Walkers as the others attempt to barricade the entrance, care to join?" She gestured to the door.

"Sure." I told her, following her out the door.

We walked down the gated path, making our way down to the front entrance. We both grabbed a couple of poles that laid on the ground as she looked at me. "We'll have more help once Carl and Beth get down here."

Nodding my head, I came up beside here and began to poke at the Walkers that came to the fence. After a few minutes, I saw our truck coming to the gate, confused where everyone went.

Carol, seeing my confusion, looked at me. "While you were asleep, the boys went out and cut some trees down to get wood set up as traps until we can fix the gate. They went back this morning."

Understanding, I went back to killing Walkers as I glanced over to see wood in the bed of the truck, shaped into spears. I watched as Glenn, Rick, Michonne, and Daryl climbed out of the truck. As my eyes landed on Daryl, I remembered what happened yesterday, causing me to whip my head away, blushing.

I focused back on the Walkers as Beth and Carl came down, taking the inner fence Walkers. Curious, I glanced back over, watching as they took one of the spears out of the truck, Michonne taking care of Walkers near them.

An hour goes by and they manage to get three into the ground. I couldn't help but wonder how many they were going to put down as I looked back to the fence, stabbing two more Walkers.

"Okay, I gotta know." Carol spoke up as she stabbed a Walker. "What's going on with you and Daryl?"

As I stabbed another, I froze at her words, looking at her. "What do you mean?"

"What I mean is, the two of you keep sneaking glances when the other isn't looking." She laid out with a smirk.

I pulled the pole out of the Walkers head, unsure of how to answer that question. "To be honest, I don't know."

"Why's that?" She turned her attention to me.

I dropped my arms in front of me, looking down at them. "Yesterday we were talking about what's next with the Governor out there, but next thing I know, I kissed him or he kissed me- ugh... I don't know what happened!"

"Wait-" She gasped in surprise. "You guys kissed?!" She whispered to me.

I nodded my head shyly. "Yeah, I don't know what to do. Do I act normal? Do I bring it up? Did it mean anything?"

I looked over to her with a worried look as she began to giggle. "Oh (Y/N)..." She sighed out.

"What? What's so funny?" I asked her flustered.

She shook her head. "You'll figure it out."

"Ugh... you're so cryptic with your words." I whined, killing another Walker.

"Ok fine, here's a question for you to think about." She began, stabbing a Walker herself. "Do you like Daryl?"

I pondered her question, zoning out. Do I like Daryl? I thought back from the time I met the man, all the way till yesterday. How he was my best friend, how he never fails to amuse me, his caring side he tried to hide, how he always had my back, goes out of his way to make sure I and the others are okay, how he... how he's always there for me.

I glanced back over to where Daryl was, watching as he helped grab another spear, causing his arm muscles to flex. I felt my cheeks burn at the thought. How attractive he is... that's when I knew.

I liked Daryl Dixon.

———
Published: 07/06/2024