Home

*Casper's POV*

I'm not ready to say goodbye to him, too. He's so young but so mature at the same time...

I put my arms around his waist, hugging him tighter than I ever did. I've already lost someone this year, and that someone was worth too many tears. So many that I don't have anything left.

He doesn't smell like he used to anymore, and I'm happy he stayed clean, even for three days. I wish he would give up on his bad habits. It'd be good for him, although I think at first he wouldn't be that happy. But it's OK. We're going home together. I'll see my dad. I'll see my friends. I'll see my siblings. But why don't I feel happy? I go and hug Dante. He's the one I'm truly saying goodbye to.

This time, he's the one hugging tighter. He has only found out about my leaving last night, when Japeth asked me if I wanted to go with him. Dante's face is red, his eyes flooded with tears that eventually fall in my hair.

"I'll miss you so much, Caspar." He says, taking my hand in his. I can't cry. Not right now. "Japeth will do what I was supposed to do a while ago. I haven't had the strength to do it. For that, I apologize. I really do."

The outside door opens, but I don't even flinch. I don't care if it's Sophie, Heros, or the snake tamer. It doesn't matter to me. I squeeze Dante even harder, feeling I'll never get enough before I go.

"Saying bye without me?"

No. It's...

Dante walks away, but he comes in front of me. I'm afraid of what he will do, but I can't go. I owe him my life.

He moves slowly towards me, grinning. He's wearing Dante's clothes. I know it. I've never seen any man who stains his clothes with ten different colors and doesn't even wash it properly. Caspar looks me in my eyes, and he looks like he might want to cry, too. He gives signs of wanting to stretch his arms to reach me and hug me, but he doesn't. He just pats my back and wishes me a good trip.

________________

This is all I wanted when I left with the circus. Coming back to Valenda, with Japeth holding my hand in a nice carriage. It feels good, gentle, and genuine. I know the houses; we're approaching mine. I see Billy's, Veronica's, and, obviously, the castle. But it looks different. No. It can't be. Elantine was healthy when I left. Japeth smiles, noticing my shock.

"No, Elantine isn't dead. Her heir is making some adjustments to the castle. Apropos, he invited us to a ball. I know we barely left the last one, but this is different. It's going to be way bigger than Nocte Neverending."

He yawns, looking outside the window. He searches his pockets, lending me an invitation. He passes his hand through his copper hair, getting ready to get out of the carriage in a few minutes.

Lord Japeth,

We are happy to invite you to my castle to attend my coronation ball!

We will expect you in ballroom nr 7 of the Idyllwild Castle on the first day of summer, at around 8 o'clock. You are free to bring anyone you want, but remember, don't get carried away.

Your future king,

Gavriel of Foxwood

Am I the only one who thinks picking a king from Foxwood is a little bit exaggerated?

He looks at me and frowns, seeing my hesitation. It's not like Gavriel could be someone I know. It's not like Gavriel could have something against me. It's not like Gavriel could be some kind of psychopath.

This is the street I've been raised on. This is where I'm supposed to get out. My father knows I'm arriving today. Japeth told him, and he sent a letter back. I didn't get to read it. He says it's better not to, but it's not something bad. He was smiling.

"We've all missed you, Casper."

He sighs, getting ready to open the door for me. He's a pretty nice young man, in my opinion. And he's well raised, too...

Father's waiting for me in front of the house alongside a woman, both having wide smiles on their faces. Is this what I think? Are they...

"Hello, Casper. I've heard so much about you!"