03. White Lies

"Hey, Dad." Chaeyoung grins to the man who is sitting at a garden patio with a scenic view of the mountains.

Mina politely bows and smiles. "Hello, sir."

"Take a seat." Mr. Son signals the two girls to sit at the wooden chairs opposite of him. "And hi there beautiful lady who I already told countless times to not address me so formally like that."

The lawyer promptly chuckles. "Sorry, dad. I'm still trying to get used to calling you like that."

Then, the man raises an eyebrow at them, giving them an unamused look. "And what time do you think it is now?"

Chaeyoung, who was just about to take her seat, abruptly froze her body for a second. As she continues her movements, she glances at Mina, then awkwardly smiles at her father. "Da— dad. The traffic today is really—"

"It's her fault." Mina states with a blank tone while pointing to the girl beside her. "All hers."

"What—" The athlete darts her eyes to her wife. "That's not entirely—"

"Your daughter." The lawyer continued to explain nonchalantly. "She made us stay longer in the house when we could've gotten out earlier and made it here on time."

"Hey! MINARIII. How could you sell out your wife like that?!"

Mina tilts her head and tries to look innocently at the smaller girl. "But it's the truth."

Mr. Son just silently watches them, a small grin slowly getting wider on his face.

"Argh." Chaeyoung ruffles her hair. "You know that's not the entire truth! You were partly at fault!"

"Me? Really? Then..." The lawyer then smirks and lowers her voice. "How is it partly my fault? What did I do?"

"You— you—" The athlete's face suddenly became red like a ripe tomato. "You..."

Mina leans to her wife's ear and whispers. "What is it, baby cub? What did I do to you?"

Before the officially flustered Chaeyoung could try and answer, Mr. Son wasn't able to hold his amusement anymore as he burst into loud laughter. "You two never fail to fascinate me!"

"Dad!" The athlete rolls her eyes and turns to her father. "We're not some kind of entertainment that you watch when you're bored."

"Hey. You ungrateful daughter. I was just—"

"Don't mind her, dad." Mina immediately butts in, activating her referee mode. "You know how bad she is at expressing her thoughts when it comes to you."

Mr. Son lightly scoffs. "Can't you two just swap, Mina? Just be my actual daughter. I like you way better than this delinquent."

This time, it was Chaeyoung who scoffed. "Like my wife would want to experience having a father like—"

"OKAY, OKAY." The lawyer glances at the furious people with her. "If you two are just going to bicker at each other..." She stands up from her seat, making Chaeyoung and Mr. Son who were previously glaring at each other look at her. "Then I will just go and—"

"NO!" The father and daughter duo yells at the same time. "STAY!"

"Mi— Minari..." Chaeyoung fakes a smile to Mr. Son. "I will be a good girl from now on."

Mina then slowly moves her eyes to look at the man. "And you, dad?"

"I—" Mr. Son squints at the athlete for a second, then awkwardly smiles at his daughter in law. "I will be a good boy from now on."

"Alright!" Mina sits back again to her seat while displaying an accomplished smile. "Now, where were we?"

"No—" Chaeyoung mumbles. "Not much anywhere. I guess."