05. Problem Solving

Chaeyoung glances at her wife on the shotgun seat. She is currently driving their way back to the city from her father's vacation house. "Dad's really getting fonder and fonder of you by the day."

Mina promptly chuckles. "You think so?"

"Isn't it obvious?! He would even trade you with me to be his own daughter!"

"Of course, that was only a joke!" The lawyer rolls her eyes. "There is no way your dad means that."

The athlete scoffs and sarcastically replies. "Yeah, right."

"Wow." Mina shifts on her seat to face her wife. "Are you perhaps jealous of me right now?"

"What— NO!" Chaeyoung awkwardly laughs. "There is no way I'm— Why would I—"

The lawyer's laugh gets louder. "Oh, my gosh. You really are a daddy's girl, aren't you? Dad's right. You absolutely love him. You're just bad at showing it."

"HEY! That is so not— UGH." The athlete rolls her eyes. "Think whatever you want."

Mina just continues to chuckle. "And a baby cub is fuming again like a real baby."

Chaeyoung just pouts and stays silent while continuing to focus on her driving.

The ride was comfortably quiet for a couple of minutes until the lawyer decided to speak again.

"Chaeng."

"Hmm?"

"Could you please pull over for a sec?"

"Huh?" Chaeyoung quickly glanced at the girl beside her. "What— pull over? As in— stop the car to the side of the road?"

"Yeah." Mina gives her wife a playful smirk. "What else does that mean?"

"Are you feeling dizzy?" The athlete's face is suddenly filled with worry. "Is everything okay? Are you—"

"I'm fine." The lawyer calmly answers. "I just want to talk about something."

"O—Okay." Chaeyoung gradually steps on the brake and pulls over to the side of the road. "There you go. Why? What— what is so important that I have to stop driving?"

Mina lets out a sigh. She isn't moving on her seat, looking straight at the front windshield and is not uttering a word.

The athlete starts to be visibly nervous. "Mi— Minari. Please say something, will you? You're starting to kind of scare me."

"Chaeng."

"Yeah?"

Mina turns on her seat to face the other girl in the car. "Have you ever lied to me about your whereabouts?"

"What—" Chaeyoung rapidly blinks her eyes multiple times. "What— what— what— what are you talking about?"

The lawyer looks into her wife's eyes with all seriousness. "Tell me the truth."

"Minari—"

"Where did you go last night?"

"La— last night?" The smaller girl awkwardly smiled. "Umm... Let me— let me recall... last night, huh?"

"Then, let me remind you." Mina quickly replies. "Before you came home and began whining to that spilled strawberry jam on our kitchen counter while I was talking with Sana on the phone... you went out to Tzuyu's office for an advertisement proposal from Chou Entertainment. That's what I know because that is what you told me."

"A—AHH. Ye— Yeah. I remember now." Chaeyoung fakes a chuckle. She straightens her body on the driver's seat and was about to look in front of her on the road when Mina grabs her chin, forcing her to stay face to face with her.