Chapter 1

With a relieved sigh, Bill hung his apron next to the others just as Li Jing came back into the kitchen.

"Andy! You hurry with dishes! I want going home. Bill, why you no help him." She smiled suggestively and Bill groaned; Andy was the new dishwasher and he was so slow it was painful to watch. It was already close to midnight and the guy wasn't even half done yet.
Dejectedly, Bill put his apron back on and went to help Andy with the large pile of dirty dishes while Li Jing did the accounting for the day.

"You know, it's a lot easier if you use clean water," Bill grumbled, watching the disgusting soup in which Andy was dunking the dishes. He emptied the sink and began filling it with clean, hot water so they could get this thing moving and go home before 1 a.m.

"Thanks, Bill. You know how much I love working with you." Andy grinned, brushing his bleached hair out of his eyes with his forearm.

"No problem." Bill smiled, trying to ignore him. Ever since his first day here, Andy had been hitting on him so obviously that the entire restaurant staff had noticed, and Bill still did his best to pretend he didn't notice it at all.
They had gone through four dishwashers in the one year that Bill had been working at the Golden Koi already, and every time Bill had to help them get settled in, just to watch them leave a few months later. The job just sucked so bad no one wanted to stick to it. Bill was really glad he was a cook and not a dishwasher; it ruined his hands every time he had to help out with this.

It took them less time than Bill had expected, so at 12:30 they were ready to close, and Bill was ready to pass out. Not to mention he had classes in the morning; great.

"Out, out," Li Jing ushered them out of the kitchen through the back door before closing up.

"I'll see ya tomorrow, Bill." Andy winked, getting on his green Vespa after strapping the helmet on.

"Yeah." Bill sighed, searching through his pockets for a cigarette.

"Why you still smoke, Bill? I tell you quit so often!" Li Jing scolded him when he finally found one and placed it between his lips, absently listening to Andy's Vespa disappearing into the busy streets of Los Angeles.

"I know. I'm trying, boss," he mumbled, flicking on the lighter. It was actually none of her business whether he smoked or not, but it was still true; he really was trying to quit. Failing miserably, but still trying.

"You have early shift tomorrow. Be late again and I cut pay," she said sternly before getting into her car. "Get rest, Bill, you look tired!" She smiled and waved before closing the door.

Bill just nodded; he'd been late today because he'd met up with George and Victor for a small practice session and completely forgotten the time.

After Li Jing drove out of the small parking lot behind the restaurant, Bill slowly moved to his own car, quickly finishing his cigarette before getting into the . Bill hated the car, but it was the only thing he could afford; at least he had a car, he tried to encourage himself.

The drive back to the apartment he shared with his roommates was only about ten minutes, so he found himself in the familiar driveway at a quarter to one. If he managed to shower, brush his teeth, and be asleep in exactly fifteen minutes, he'd have five hours of sleep before having to get up to get ready for classes. Just another Thursday.

However, as Bill unlocked the door and entered his apartment, all plans of being in bed at 1 flew out the window.

"Guys, what's going on?" he asked upon entering the kitchen to find both roommates sitting at the kitchen table; George looked positively miserable, while Victor was just sitting there, looking sympathetic.