Chapter 2

Tyler threw his jacket back on and slipped into his shoes before checking his Rolex; nearly 2 a.m. already.

"You know you could just spend the night." The girl wrapped in her blanket smiled at him from the door to the living room.

"Sorry, gotta work in the morning." Tyler grinned, giving her a kiss before heading for the door.

"Hey wait," she said while she hurriedly scribbled something down on a paper, handing it to him. "Call me." She smiled suggestively.

Tyler took the paper with a smirk before exiting her apartment without another word.
Once outside on the street, he threw the paper into the nearest trash bin that hung on his way to the car; she'd been good, but not that good. Generally, Tyler preferred variety, unless someone was good enough for him to give it another go, but that was rare. People were boring like that.

With a satisfied smile, Tyler slid into his Audi R8, immediately reaching for his phone that he had left in the glove compartment; he had just spent various hours away from it, so it was probably overflowing with messages, even at this late hour.
The display read 6 missed calls and 11 text messages; that wasn't so bad. Most were work related, a few from random girls he might hook up with at some point (or not), and one unidentified number.
He pressed call, not caring that it was in the middle of the night – the person should be thanking their lucky stars he was calling back at all.

"Tyler, ma man!" yelled a voice on the other end after about two or three rings.

"Who is this?" Tyler growled, not appreciating the greeting at all and being highly disturbed by the loud music in the background.

"It's Nathan!" The voice laughed while Tyler tried to identify it but didn't manage.

"Nathan what?" Tyler asked impatiently, close to hanging up.

"Linley. Dude, from your old band?" The voice was obviously getting somewhat impatient as well.

"Oh! Nathan! Why didn't you just say so?" Tyler laughed, regaining his good mood right away.

"How many Nathans do you know?" Nathan snorted.

"About 50." Tyler chuckled. "How've you been, man?"

"Yeah right." Nathan snorted again. "Awesome. I'm actually in L.A. and thought I'd look you up. You still owe me money." He laughed slyly.

"That's why you called me? Because I owe you, what, a thousand bucks? You're a lousy friend," Tyler replied amused.

"Actually, you only owe me 500, but we can make it a thousand if you want. It's not like you'd be missing it, huh?" Nathan teased.

"If I would be as careless as you with my money, I would soon be missing that 500." Tyler barked a laugh, well remembering how he had come to owe him that money. "You still gamble, I take it?"

"As ever! Don't tell me you gave it up?" Nathan asked outraged.

"Unfortunately, I'm rich now – I can't afford to squander my money anymore." Tyler laughed, starting the engine of his car and pulling into the empty street.

"Right. So you became one of those 'grown up, serious' types of people?" Nathan sighed tragically.

"College is over, Nate – grow up," Tyler advised with a grin.

"Ugh, whatever. Come on, I'm only in L.A. for a few days, let's have some fun! Show me something awesome you can do here," he exclaimed excitedly; the guy hadn't changed at all in the past ten years.

"Alright, alright. I guess I could squeeze you in tomorrow evening. Say... midnight?" Tyler was almost certain he'd be free by then.

"Sounds great, man. Where do we meet?"