Chapter Five - Don't Panic!

"That's it

"That's it. You're doing great. You've, uh, you've done this before, haven't you?" Buck asks as the four walk down the stairwell slowly. The woman, who they learned is named Ali, is holding onto Kayla. Eddie is in front of them and Buck is behind, making sure everything is stable on all fronts. "Yeah. It was, uh, my major at the Rhode Island School of Design." Sarcasm is heavily apparent in her voice as Kayla giggles, completely understanding her acting the way she is.

    "Don't worry, Buck always asks stupid questions when things get heavy. It's one of his red flags." She jokes with the woman which helps her stay calm. "Sorry. Sarcasm is my fallback for pretty much everything." Ali apologizes as the descent continues. "I totally get it. Kayla makes me use sarcasm alot for her always cheery personality."

    "When we get to the ground floor, you're getting punched, bull head." She grits out as they get to a turn. Eddie has already made it past and is holding his hand out for Kayla to grab so she can get her and Ali down safely. The mistake Ali makes is looking down the stairwell, "You think he'll still be on the sidewalk when we get down there?"

    "They more than likely already have that all cleaned up. Plus, we won't be going out that side anyway, don't worry about it sweets." Kayla says calmly, making sure Ali doesn't get too into her own head.

    "Let's hustle up, you two. We don't want to be here for the next aftershock." Eddie encourages but Kayla sighs, "Eds, we have to take our time. Gravity is not our friend right now."

    "Wait, what do you mean, the next aftershock?" Ali asks, seemingly terrified as Kayla shoots a look to Eddie. He sighs and holds his hand back out for Kayla to grab, "Come on." She grabs it and slowly walks down the stairs while keeping Ali close to her as the woman groans in pain. Once they all get down, Eddie goes to check out the next couple flights of stairs. "Oh, you gotta be kidding me." Buck says when he sees that the stairs are blocked off.

    "We're not getting out this way." Eddie says looking over to the three people looking at him, "Well, where do we go? Back up?" Kayla asks and he smiles at her, "Ding, ding, ding, sunshine." He jokes and she rolls her eyes. "Remind me to punch you as well when get Ali to safety." she mutters and the blonde quietly laughs. It's something small but it helps Kayla know she's doing a good job at keeping her comforted.

    "Ladder 118, respond. This is Captain Nash. I need a head count." Bobby says over comms, "Ladder 118 responding. Diaz, O'Malley, Buckley, we're good, Cap." Eddie responds and more people respond back in as well. It's another small thing that helps the nerves that Kayla is hiding.

    "Hen, do you copy? Hen? This is Captain Nash for Henrietta Wilson. Do you copy?" Kayla looks at Eddie nervously, what the hell happened to Hen and why isn't she responding. Ali seems to notice the sudden change in Kayla's behavior, "Is that a friend of yours?" Eddie looks at Kayla then replies, "Let's keep moving." he says and the four start their climb back up.