Chapter Sixteen - Consequences of Her Actions

Sunlight shines through a window as Kayla groans

Sunlight shines through a window as Kayla groans. It's too early for her to be up as her phone isn't going off but she can't fall back asleep...usually. Normally, when she's woken up by the sun she can't fall back asleep, but with a strong arm holding her against a firm chest and a familiar scent filling her nose, the urge settles in.

"You can't get up yet." Vince's morning voice gruffs. "Normally, I would..." she says while cuddling into his chest more. "But you don't want to because I'm here." He teases, "And you ruined it." She tries to get out of bed but he doesn't let her go. "Nope, you are gonna lay here for another few minutes. You don't have anything to do right now." He leans in to kiss her but her alarm goes off.

"I do have things to do." She gets out of bed and turns off her alarm before walking towards her closet. Vince sits up against the headboard, no shirt on as his toned chest is shown in the slightly lit-up room. He can't help but smirk slightly when he sees her slight limp from last night's activities.

"I think your co-workers will notice that limp there." She rolls her eyes as she looks through her closet for something to wear. "Well, luckily my job doesn't require them to look at me all the time." She says while pulling out a light blue top and white jean shorts.

"I don't know how they can't." She cringes at his compliment, being a bit too cheesy for her liking. "Damn, was it really this easy to make you all sappy?" She jokes as starts to get dressed. "I'm only sappy for the people I care about, you know I care about you, Kayla." He gets over the bed and wraps his arms around her waist.

She sighs as she leans her head against his shoulder, "This was a one-time thing, Vince." He chuckles as he nuzzles his nose into her hair. He smiles at the familiar sweet scent of her shampoo, "You can say that all you want, but I think your body wants other things." She rolls her eyes before moving away from him.

"It's time for you to go home, Vince. I have to get to work." He sighs before starting to put his pants on. Once he's dressed, he looks at her one more time before leaving without a word.

Walking into the firehouse is something she has done for years, but today it seemed different. Nothing was out of the ordinary when she walked in, people were chatting or doing their chores that were assigned, so why did she feel like something was different today?

The first call of the day was a car crash. Kayla sits next to Buck as she looks out the window, she's in her own world as everyone is talking around her. She jumps when a hand touches her leg softly, looking up she sees Eddie looking at her. "Hey, you okay, Darlin?" She smiles softly at the nickname, "Yeah, just had an... interesting night." She says, trying to reassure him.

He doesn't get to say anything as the truck pulls up to the crash area. Getting out of the truck, she grabs the bag that she needs as Athena gives them the rundown.

"Couple of Newlyweds. Driver's Paul Willams. No ID on the passenger. Another car drifted into their lane, the driver tried to avoid getting hit, the car went off the road." Once they get the information, they all follow Athena to the crash. "Bobby, it's bad. Car's wrapped tight around that tree." Kayla's eyes widen when she sees the crash, "Come on, guys, let's hustle up." Bobby says and they move into action.