Chapter 20 - Mara's POV

Today was the day. The day of the entrance exam. Dad and Kiko were ready, I guess there was some sort of observation room where the two of them would be to watch all of us suffer. I stood in my room digging through my closet. I had no idea what to wear. What does a girl wear to a supper competitive quark competition where I might be seriously hurt.

Should I put on something full coverage to protect my skin or something that's easier to move in? Does it matter how I look? Should I be trying to stand out or fit in?

I had no idea what was going on or what I should be doing.

"Mara are you ready?" Kiko asked from the other side of the door.

"No!" I yelled back. "I don't know what to wear."

A second later the door opened, and she walked in.

"Oh, wow you're really not dressed." She said as she stared at me standing there still in my pajamas.

"Does it matter what I wear?" I asked her.

"No, it doesn't. Just put on something you can move in." She told me.

I looked back at my clothes and picked up a pair of black cargo pants I had already put on and removed. These looked nice, were sturdy material that would not rip easily and were comfortable.

"I would put on a belt as well. Those pants are kinda loose. You wouldn't want them falling off in front of a bunch of people." She told me.

"Good point." I said as I grabbed one of my black belts.

I quickly ran to the bathroom and pulled on my pants and tightened the belt through my pants loops before returning to my room. I grabbed my black high-rise boots and held them up to Kiko who nodded in approval.

I laced them up and looked back in my closet.

"What should I wear for a top?" I asked her.

"Let me take a look." She said as she got up and walked over to my closet.

She moved some things around before pulling out a black top. It was a long-sleeved crop top that hung off my shoulders. It had two straps that looked similar to my belt that went over my shoulders and held the shirt into place. It was a very easy shirt to move around in.

"This is perfect." I said as I ripped my shirt off and pulled that one on.

I pulled my hair up into a tight high pony and looked at myself in the mirror

"Should I take out my piercings?" I asked her.

No one had said anything about them, but I have noticed the looks I got from the locals every time I leave the house. I could tell by the way she was biting her lip she wanted to tell me yes.

"No, leave them in. There a part of you. If anyone has a problem with them, that's their problem." She told me.