Chapter 4 - Kiko Aizawa

As my father and I were preparing dinner I could not help but think about Mara who was only one floor away from me but she still felt so far away. I understand that she had a lot to adjust to and we don't even speak the same langue yet but I still thought she would be happy to see me. I know I was happy to see her. I had always wanted a sister and now I have one but all that Mara seemed interested in was dad. How could she not be as excited as me I'm her family.

"Dad," I said as I continued to finish the salad.

"Yes." He answered with his back to me as he started plaiting our dinner.

"How are we going to get to know each other if we don't speak the same language?" I asked him.

Second, by second I was becoming to worry more and more about her being here.

"We will teach her." He answered as if he didn't even care.

"How? Don't you worry she will not like it here?" I asked him.

"The United States is very different than Japan but over time she will adjust." He answered as he turned around with two plates in his hands.

I helped him by grabbing the last plate and placing it on the table across from me. It was strange seeing the table set for three. It has been years since mom died and we never had anyone over ever.

"I'll go get her, you finish setting the table." He told me before he headed upstairs.

I didn't have much time so I quickly served the food. It was going to be our first night together as a family and I hoped it would be perfect.