Chapter 2 - Her World Or Mine

I slowly push my leg into the other side of my sweatpants, my phone still pressed firmly against my ear

"Hello? Rome, are you still there?" Marco asks from the other end of the line.

"Yeah...Yeah, I'm still here." I reply hurriedly, standing up and staring back at the bed.

"Okay, I thought I should give you a heads up." he murmurs hesitantly.

I run my fingers through my hair and nod, my stomach clenching and squeezing bile up my throat I can almost taste it in my mouth.

"Yeah, thanks, I appreciate it." I respond absentmindedly.

"Okay" He replies, dragging out the word again.

"Well, goodnight." He adds, after some silence on my part.

"Goodnight. Thanks man." I mumble and cut the line.

She is back!

She is back now...now?

Why?

How dare she come back now?

Suddenly, there is an uncomfortable nagging feeling gnawing at my insides.

"Sienna is back!" I say in a whisper, testing the words out.

Taking a deep breath, I lean back against the nearest available surface behind me.

She and I have been broken up for a long time and she spent the bulk of that time in another country, leaving little or no room for reconciliation.

Over three years......that's a long time.

Long enough for me to move on with my life.

I roll my shoulders back and glance at the bed again, then run my fingers through my already mussed up hair, as I visually outline the frame of the woman in my bed right now.

One of the legs that she had draped over my upper thighs a minute ago is now peeking out of the sheets, pale-yellow nail polish on her toenails visible even from here.

I'm not doing anything wrong.

I haven't.

Up until now, this was a great night for both of us........it still is.

The phone call, it changes nothing.

I've often wondered about Sienna, what she was up to, when she would be back, if she still cared, if she thought of me as often as I thought of her, why she wasn't back yet even after I tried to orchestrate her return...twice.

But I got tired of waiting, of beating myself up for my part in our breakup, of hoping.... hoping that the odds would one day tip in our favor once again.