Chapter 8

We arrived at the park as I saw a tree, in the perfect spot blocking the sun. 

“Let’s go to that tree!” 

I said as we ran over to it and laid under it. 

It was silent for a few minutes. 

“Niall?”

I said as I turned my head towards his. 

“Yeh?” 

He said still looking at the clouds. 

“I know he died when you were 7, and I’m sorry for asking, but how does it feel to have a dad? I mean a real one, I don’t consider mine one all he ever did was hurt me and my mom” 

“It was perfect, my life was perfect then, I was rich-ish. My dad owned a huge company but when he died he hadn’t written his will so his family got all his money, leaving me and my family poor. I didn’t feel that special having a dad, a dad that loved me. But now, he’s gone and everything went bad. I miss him so much, if I knew he would be gone when I was younger, I would have cherished ever minute I had with him” 

He turned to me, eyes sparkling from the water in them. 

“Music is all I have now, it’s the only reason I am who I am today. I don’t know how I would have done it without it, maybe suicide, drugs I don’t know who I would be. I’m just happy I’m not doing things I’ll regret.” 

He said. 

“I know how you feel, when my dad was hitting my mom, or he had finished hitting me, I would lock myself in my room and cry my heart out listening to music, it would always help keep my mind of things.” 

He looked up at me and sat up. 

“Liz, let me see your arm” 

“Why?” 

“Just give me your arm” 

I tried pulling away, I didn’t want to show him, I don’t know what he would do, would he think differently of me? Would he leave? Will he hate me? I didn’t want to know the answers, but no matter what I did I just had to wait for his reaction, its too late to do anything else. 

He pulled my sleeve up revealing my cuts. 

“Liz…” 

He said biting his lip. 

“Ni, I’m sorry.. i-i-“ 

“Why? Why do you do this?” 

“I feel like I deserve it…. I mean everything that’s happened to me… it has to be for a reason, I don’t know Ni, I’m sorry” 

“Promise me…”

He gulped 

“Next time you feel like doing it, you come to me, I’ll be there for you, you don’t deserve anything of what you’ve been through okay?” 

He picked up my wrist and kissed the cuts 

His sweet lips pressing on my delicate skin. 

“Okay, I promise” 

I said forcing a smile on my face. 

“How did you know I cut though?” 

I said nervously. 

“I could tell your pain from your eyes, when you said it kept your mind away from things, I immediately thought about my friend, sh-she committed suicide 1 year ago. I had known she cutted for a couple hours, I made the mistake to run away, I didn’t know what to do….. I loved her… I never even got the chance to tell her that” 

He took a deep breath. 

“I got a text from her that day it said ‘thanks for always being there for me, she said she’s always loved me but never got the guts to say it… she said goodbye. I ran to her house but once I got there, it was too late” 

I was speechless, I didn’t know what to say, I tried to pick my words carefully but couldn’t manage to come up with anything, 

“I-I Promise I’ll never leave you…. I’ll try to stop…. For you”

I said as I smiled, I knew we weren’t anything but friends, and it’ll probably stay that way, but I didn’t want Niall and me to ever stop being friends. 

He didn’t answer. 

I felt a warm hand touch mine, I didn’t bother to look down, I knew who it was. 

“Liz?” 

“Yeah?” 

I answered. 

“Are you ticklish?” 

I didn’t get the time to answer before he started tickling my waste. 

We both laughed. 

The rest of the time we were there we looked at the clouds above us silently