Director of my Heart

"Again. Do it over."

Papers from my folder scatter everywhere as they hit the desk. His desk. I grit my teeth, putting on my most convincing smile. I don't know who I was aiming to convince, myself or him.

"Yes sir, as you wish. May you extend my deadline for this project then?"

He looked up at me, his eyes matching his face and attitude perfectly. Cold. "No."

I've had many years on this job, five to be exact, and my smile still falters when coming across his insensitive words.

Instead of arguing I gather up my papers and stuff them in my folder, probably giving myself more work to do later since they're out of order.

I look up to my boss, who doesn't even pay me any attention, almost as if in his mind I've already left. He sits in his cushioned chair, in his lifeless office. The office, much like him, was bare and dark. Although it was barely decorated, the things coating its walls and shelves had a way to make me feel unbefitting.

As my boss sat in his chair he leaned his head in one hand while his other tapped the arm of the luxurious chair.

I turned on my heels once gathering all of my items and thoughts. The last thing I saw was that insufferable nameplate. The one that always somehow reminded me that no matter how tall I climb or the achievements I make, it will never be good enough. I'll never reach his standard.

And that nameplate read, 'Dircetor Dabi'.

.: ✉︎ :.

Revising my work enticed a lot of emotions. Anger, sadness, annoyance but most of all hatred. To say that I thought to curse my boss to demons, ghouls, goblins and even faeries would be an understatement.

I even thought of cursing him in exchange for my soul to the devil, but I'm pretty sure he is Satan himself and I've already gave him five years of my lifespan.

Before I could contemplate learning witchcraft and hexing him, my phone's ringer went off. I pick up my phone, a smile appearing on my face as I take a look at the sender.

T: Are you up?

The smile on my face manages to get wider. Even in a predicament like this he's still able to make me smile.

Me: Yep.

T: Doing what?

Me: Work, have to meet my deadline in 2 days. My boss decided to be an asshole and make me redo it without moving back the deadline date.

T: I see. I can keep you company.

Me: I'd like that. Are you sure? It's late and I don't want to keep you up with my problems.

T: Its fine, I want to stay up. With you.

Me: Someone's flirty tonight.

I send him the winking emoji and lean back in my chair, completely forgetting about my piling work in my folder.

T: If you think that's me being flirty, you're severely inexperienced with dating.

Me: As If you know. We both know your exclusive to your job.

I send the eye rolling emoji and set my phone down. If I stared at my phone any longer I'd never get any of my work done. T was someone I'd met a couple of months ago on a dating app.