Day before Pride

The day in the bunker started off like usual. Dean woke up in Cass' arms. Cass was looking at Deans bleary eyes, messy hair and rumpled shirt. Dean was looking back at him, smiling like Cass was his whole world kept safety right beside him. They both got up, Cass giving Dean a kiss on the forehead on his way up. They walked into the kitchen hand in hand so that Dean could make his morning coffee.

Meanwhile Sam unfurled his arms to reveal a tightly curled Gabriel, Sam smiled to himself, Gabriel always looked like a baby in his sleep. Calm and peaceful, finally undisturbed. Gabriel awoke and looked up at Sam

"Like what you see Samich?" It was teasing and Sam blushed despite being used to his boyfriend's antics.

He gave him a kiss and they both got up also making their way to the kitchen meeting Cass and Dean.

After greetings and some polite conversation between to two sets of brothers they were soon joined by the bunkers resident children: Claire and Jack.

Everyone made breakfast or a hot drink and meandered into the Bunkers main hall seating themselves around the table. There was a pleasent buzz as conversation arose. Sam was talking to Dean about the latest hunt and Cass was talking to Jack about something he had come across while "surfing the net" as he had said it.

Oddly but not uncommonly Claire was silently staring at Gabriel. This was normal for the two. It had become like a ritual. Each morning the self proclaimed "Ultimate Test Of Durability" also known as a staring contest was held between the two. Dean upon noticing there daily challenge rolled his eyes.

"Do you two ever quit it?" He asked exasperatedly

Neither answered

"Guys for Christ Sake just-" he clicks his fingers in between their faces "-blink already".

Claire blinked, Gabriel however did not.

"Oh c'mon Dean I was on a winning streak. And you cheated, used your angel powers" she glared at Dean then Gabriel. Gabriel faked a shocked and appalled expression.

"I did not! How dare you accuse me of such a crime?!"

Claire looked at him squinting slightly, a trait she had undoubtedly picked up from Cass.

"No one can not blink when someone clicks infront of their eye. So you obviously used your angel powers"

Gabriel stuck out his tongue "Sore loser"

Pointing to himself he said "Gabriel 7" pointing at Claire "Claire 6"

She glared at him some more before going back to her coffee

"Aren't you a little young to be drinking that much coffee" Sam asked her pointedly

"Firstly, Sam I'm 16 and and secondly you let Jack drink beer!"

Jack perked up at the mention of his name and listened intently "Jack is a celestial being unaffected by alcohol, you on the other hand are human so slow down a little with the caffeine hits" Dean interjects

"Says you" She glares at Dean who glares back.

After a whole lot of staring Cass nudges Dean under the table and he goes back to drinking his own coffee. After some more minutes of idle chat Jack straightens up suddenly from his slumped position raising his head that was resting on his fist, "I remember something I saw the other day while I was on the internet. Do you know what Pride Month is?" Jack takes his time with the word Pride, almost as if he was unsure of how to say it. He didn't address the question to anyone in particular but Cass was the one who answered.

"Well Jack Pride is the overarching term for anyone who isn't heterosexual or cisgender" he spoke as if he was reciting a verse from a text book.

"What does heterosexual and cisgender mean?"

"Cisgender, commonly shortened to Cis, means someone who identifies with the gender they were assigned at birth. So a child born with male gentaglia identifies as a boy and a child born with female genitalia identifies as a girl. Heterosexual refers to someone who is attracted to the opposite gender: a woman who is attracted to a man and a man who is attracted to a woman."

"So then Pride mouth celebrates people who are the opposite of that" Jack nods to himself confirming his understanding.

"So why do we have Pride Month?" He continued

Sam chimed in on this question saying "It's to celebrate diversity for queer and gender non-conforming people, giving them a month of recognition. It's a huge leap in recent history actually. People like that were oppressed for several decades. Centuries even, most people were afraid to be with their loved ones or to be confident in who they were because of that oppression"

"What do you mean by oppression. Why were they oppressed?"

"These people were treated less than human. They would be kicked out of their homes, arrested, assaulted and were abandoned by family and friends. They even had laws put in place against them to make their lives harder. They weren't allowed to get married or adopt children, To this day people still can't get the proper health care they need and are still shunned in society. For some reason people just think it's wrong, most self proclaimed Christian believe it's against the bible and-"

This is where Cass jumped in "Which is completely inaccurate"

"-they think it's their business who loves who"

Dean looked over at Sam his eyes wide "Well excuse me professor" Sam punched him on the arm.

"So, Pride Month, is one month of the year to celebrate people who aren't cis-" he took his time with the word making sure he was saying it correctly "-or heterosexual because they didn't have equal rights for many years" Jack looked up for confirmation

"Pretty much kiddo"

"And when is this month?"

"June. Which happens to be tomorrow" Claire said and at that she gasped and jumped up from her seat

"Wait! I have something. Nobody move" she ran across the room, down to the hall way and disappeared.

Her foots steps could suddenly be heard again as she thundered down the hall way back to where everyone had frozen in their seats till she came back.

In her arms she was carrying several stacks of bonded sheets of paper. She unceremoniously dumped them on the table sliding one to each pair. One for Cass and Dean and one for Gabriel and Sam as well as one for herself and Jack. She held it up flipping it over to page one which had "HAPPY PRIDE" written on it in a bright assortment of colours.

"These are Pride Day Pride Month calendars each day celebrates a different sexuality or gender. This way we can keep up with Pride Month celebrations and events"

She suddenly turned sheepish noticing the quizzical looks on everyone's faces

"The store where Kaia works has been stocking Pride merch" she explained

Dean was about to open his mouth to say something snarky when Cass read his mind and kicked him under the table to shut him up. "I thinks that's a great idea Claire" he said giving her a reassuring smile.

Jack grinned "Thank you for explaining this to me. I can't wait to hear more. Want to hang up the calendar with me?" He said looking at Claire

"Sure" she said and they ran off back down the hall.

Thus began the Bunkers first Pride Month

———-———-———-———-———-———-———-———-———-———-———-———-———-———-———-———-———-———-———-

Realised I published 5is without editing it, so did that as of now 😁👍