Chapter 21.

The next day, the anguish coursed through my veins became unbearable. I made the fatal mistake of exposing Damien to the secrets of my past, something I would stubbornly resist until his relentless demands left me with no other options. I knew what would happen once it was revealed that my prediction came true and then some.

The pain of seeing his reaction was heart-rending. My past crashed into my present and Damien did everything he could keep James away from me. However, regardless of how hard he tried, James found the way around him: the more persistent he became, the more rage Damien felt was boiled.

I felt that his anger radiated off him like heat from an open flame. After Katelyn explained what happened with James, Damien pleaded with her to stay with him for her safety, although she was hesitant to comply. However, when James attempted to break into her home, Katelyn had no choice but to accept Damien's offer and take refuge on his roof.

For two days, Katelyn felt as though her independence was slipping away, but Damien was determined to keep her safe regardless of the cost. Katelyn was caught between the two extremes due to someone who had been thrust into the middle. Desperation in his voice, Damien stepped forward and asked Katelyn, 'Are you alright?'

She shook her head fiercely and spated her responses. 'No, Damien I'm not! All of this should never have occurred. I should have protected you from this mess James caused, but instead I was stupid and got us both mixed up in it and now I can't help but blame myself.'

Taking a step closer, he gently grabbed his hands. 'Katelyn, don't say that. You did not get me into this mess; James did. And I do not forget that I chose to come here and protect you because I loved you.

That's why I'm choosing to keep you safe.' His voice was quavered by emotion and she felt softened in response. Reluctantly, Katelyn allowed him to pull her closer until they stood face-to-face.

She experienced tension radiating between them. My heart pounded on my chest as I tentatively reached out and grasped Damien's face, gazing deeply into his eyes. I had sworn myself that I would never love again; marriage was completely out of the question.

But then I met you. You gave me the courage to be trusting once more and encouraged me to put my faith in love again. Damien, the intensity of the emotions that burn within me for you is incredible and I struggle to find the right words to express it.

As he stepped towards me, my heart raced, and my breathing stopped. His hands were strong, cradling my face, and my eyes were locked in an unbreakable gaze. No woman should ever have to endure what you have been through, yet here I am to show you how love really feels.

I was elated by his presence and the energy that surged through me as I moved closer was immense. Katelyn needed to know—was this something Damien wanted? With frenzied desperation, I kissed Damien with a fervent fervor, and my emotions for him were more powerful than ever before.

Out of the blue, I was conscious that my heart had been a desire for something more profounder than I had with Tyler. In front of Damien, my emotions rushed out of me in uncontrollable need; "Damien, I need you," I blurted out. He looked bewildered. In the reaction, I made it clear with an abrupt forward lunge. Our lips touched and our bodies moved as if brought together by fate.

Heat spread off us both and in his ear I murmured, "Yes, this is what I meant." I grasped his hair; as I tugged him closer to me, my hand created a line of flame across his chest. I held his glance as I spoke quietly, my voice loaded with arousal, "I've missed this, Katelyn."

The patient’s eyes were smoldered. "We just had sex a few days ago, " he said, though there was no refuting the heat between us. "I know, but it's not like anything I've experienced earlier - it seems so much more...intense."