Chapter 19.

A wave of terror coursed through James as he connected the dots that led him to my abode. His wrath intensified with every step he took, which was an unexpected complication. He was well aware that Damien was no match for him, and that the idea of hurting him evoked both dread and fury within him. 

Suddenly, I recalled the time we had quarreled over a minor issue and how his rage had taken over: the blood streaming from her face, a fractured rib, and the desperate drive to the hospital afterwards. I shuddered - if I had ever stepped out of line again, he would have wasted no time displaying what would come to pass. The nurses were cognizant of everything that was occurring, yet they never remarked on it. 

I made justifications for his cruelty, convinced that he loved me, but the reality is that he exploited my affection as a tool to hurt me. The last straw was when he attempted to assault me sexually and choked me until I lost consciousness. When I woke up in the emergency room of the hospital, my initial reaction was to shield him and shield his misdeeds once again, but I then refocused. 

I had to flee before killing me. Thanks to police interference, I had sufficient time to flee from him. Nevertheless, even now, with the separation between us, I can still feel his fetid breath on my neck and hear his depraved whispers in my ear. 

The trauma he caused will stay with me forever.

My relationship with Damien has tangled me up in a web of emotions that I cannot seem to untangle. James had warped me into something I barely recognized, making me feel like I cannot trust anyone, especially men. 

When Damien attempted to get close to me, I erected high walls, wanting to keep him at a safe distance before he could end up hurting me, as James had done. Our closeness was intense, but it was quickly extinguished when he disrespected me in front of his friends and ex-girlfriend, someone whom I strongly disliked. I often wonder what my life would be like if I never met Damien. 

The thought of not having to face his chaotic ex-girlfriend brings me some peace but also a pang of guilt. I am honest with myself - my deep-rooted trust issues, which were caused by the trauma I had experienced, stopped me from completely giving myself to Damien. Every woman who has gone through something similar carries an intensity of fear and mistrust that no one else can comprehend. 

The day I had planned to spend peaceful solitude was disrupted when James burst in, determined to ruin everything that I had worked hard to build over the past few months. Little did he know that Damien would be there too, ready to protect her, and stand up for her with a strength and intensity I had never seen before. It was then that I realized how powerful love could be. The heat that was rising within me was replaced by a far greater emotion, and I was overwhelmed with a sense of admiration and respect for the two of them.

I knew that I had to control my emotions, so I forced myself to push away the desire that swelled inside me and focused on getting James out of my apartment. With a newfound respect for Damien and his commitment to Katelyn, I watched him as he looked at James and spoke, "You can leave now. And don't you ever disrespect my wife again."

James nodded, and with that, he was gone. James watched Katelyn's blossoms under her care and protection. At that moment, he knew that she would never return.

The realization of pushing her away shattered him, and anger and hurt coursed through his veins. Regardless of what he said or did, it would never be enough to bring her back. As the truth sunk in, James felt disbelief and hurt.

Damien advanced on him with powerful strides, gripping his neck tightly. At no time, James was forced out of the apartment, with no chance to retaliate. Damien slammed the door shut behind him, showing no mercy.