Twelve

Dan POV
I woke to the sound of gravel crunching. I looked up and saw that we were parked in between some trees. It was dark out, and the clock on the dash said 4:02.

"Where are we?" I mumbled groggily.

"We are ditching the van, just I case. The house is a couple of miles north of here, so it shouldn't be too bad of a walk," Phil explained, opening his door and hopping out. I followed, and met a sleepy-looking Zoe at the back door of the van.

Phil started walking away from the van with purpose, so we followed behind.

•••

We walked up on a large house deep in the woods as the sun was starting to come up. We were all exhausted, especially Phil since he didn't get to sleep at all in the van, and dirty.

"Oh thank god," Zoe said, throwing her hands up into the air. Phil smiled big and took off toward the front door, and I followed. They both took off their shoes at the front door, so I did as well, and they threw open the front door.

Everyone in the house came rushing forward and throwing questions at Phil and Zoe. A blonde woman rushed up to Zoe and placed her hand on Zoe's arm, and looked at her with eyes full of concern. A boy with curly brown hair and big blue eyes came up and threw himself into Phil's arms. I felt a pang of jealousy at this boy.

"What the hell are you doing here?" A voice shrieked. The crowd dispersed and the petite blonde girl from the night when I first met Phil came rushing forward.

"Hannah, chill," Phil said, pulling himself out of his embrace with the mystery boy. "He helped us get out of there. And, he's going to be staying with us," Phil added casually. Many of the vampires eyes got really wide, a few looked like they could laugh, and one or two actually looked like they couldn't care less.

"A human staying with us?" The boy with the curly brown hair asked in a thick Australian accent.

"Yes," Phil answered, and he grabbed my hand. I felt a jolt go up my arm and into my heart, making it flutter slightly. Jesus, Dan, what the hell is wrong with you recently?

He led me to a door and opened it, showing a staircase leading down.

"No more questions until we sleep," Phil called, and closed the door behind us. We walked down the stairs and into a decent sized room, with a queen-sized bed and a TV. I saw an X-box and a playstation hooked up to the TV.

"You play video games?" I asked surprised.

"Yes, vampires don't live under a rock," Phil said sarcastically and threw himself onto his bed. "I hope you don't mind, but um, we're going to share a bed for a while," he added, looking flustered.

My eyes got big and my cheeks heated up, and I was thankful that he wasn't looking at me. "Oh, th-that's okay," I stuttered. I sat down on his bed and sank slightly. Wow, this bed was comfortable.

He lied down and placed his head on a pillow, then patted the place next to him. I lied down where he patted, and faced him, my cheeks still pink.

"Thank you again," Phil said softly.

"Thank you for giving me a place to stay," I said.

"It's literally the least I could do after you saved our lives. I am eternally grateful," he giggled. I laughed at his sleepy mumbling.

He placed a hand on my cheek, making my heart flutter again. His hand felt soft and cold against my cheek. I stared at him, willing my heart to slow down, but it wouldn't.

Phil closed his eyes, keeping his hand on my cheek. "Im glad that the hatred in your eyes is gone," he whispered.

"Of course," I said softly. "I could never hate you."