Five

Phil POV
The walk into town was long, but since I was accompanied by Zoe, it didn't seem like it. We talked about a lot of things, and it kept my mind off of my guilt for that brunette boy.

"Phil, are you alright?" She asked suddenly, stopping in the middle of the sidewalk.

"Yeah, why?" I returned.

"You seem preoccupied with something," she said, starting to walk again. I didn't respond, which she probably took as an answer. "Look, if you don't want to talk about it, fine. But you look like you need to."

"I'm fine, just something nagging me," I said vaguely. She cast me a sideways glance, but didn't push it any further. She launched into some gossip about other vampires, especially the ones in the group we were about to go visit.

"There's this one named Mamrie, and I heard she is really funny, and another girl named Grace who is supposedly really awkward but easy to get along with, and this guy named Connor who is really attractive but kind of quiet," she babbled on, and I tried to pay attention but I couldn't. I kept noticing that people were following us. We dressed casually, and we didn't stand out so it had to have been impossible for people to notice that we were vampires, right?

I mumbled a few "mmhmm"s to Zoe to make her think I was still listening, but I was paying more attention to our surroundings. I watched a man walking in front of us about ten feet, and I listened to the people walking behind us in silence, and I noticed movement out of the corner of my eyes. Fed up with the blatant trailing, I pulled Zoe into the closest door I could find, quickly shutting it behind me.

"What's wrong, Phil?" She asked, but I shushed her. We apparently walked into some sketchy bar, and I wasn't about to let anyone in here catch our names.

I pulled her to the back of the bar and sat down in a corner booth facing the door. Zoe sat down across from me with a confused look on her face.

"We're being followed," I whispered, and her eyes widened in understanding. I grabbed a menu and stood it up in front of my face, blocking everything except the top of my head. Zoe sank into her booth, trying her best to hide herself from the door.

Just then, a bell rang signaling that someone had entered. I peeked over my menu and saw a familiar face scanning the restaurant. It was the blonde boy from last night.

He scanned the entire room, then walked over to the bar. He sat down and struck up a conversation with the bartender, but I couldn't make out the words.

"Is it them?" Zoe asked softly, and I nodded. It had to be the clan after us.

Just then, the bartender looked around the boy sitting across from him and pointed at us. The blonde boy turned around, and recognition lit up in his eyes.

"Shit, let's go Zoe!" I said, pulling her out of her booth and darting to the door. I expected the blonde to follow us, but we reached the door untouched. I swung the door open to find three men with guns waiting for us.

"Oh shit," Zoe said softly, and I nodded in agreement. Just then the bell dinged behind me. I turned around to find the blonde staring at me with fierce blue eyes.

"Time to go, vampires," he said coldly, almost spitting the words. Zoe looked up at me as if to ask what we should do. I shook my head softly, and allowed two men to grab each of my arms. They looked timorous, but they're grips were firm. Zoe only had the blonde holding on to her, but she didn't fight it. They led us around the street corner to the same dark blue van from last night.

We were led to the back, and we climbed in silently, followed by three men and the blonde. Zoe looked extremely scared as we sat down on one of the seats, but I stayed calm. The blonde walked up to Zoe and placed handcuffs around her wrist. He turned to me with another set, but I wasn't going to let him put them on. He can take me in to wherever, but I wasn't going to lose my dignity in the process.