Thirteen

Dan POV
"First things first," Mr. Roger started, twirling the yard stick around his finger, "you must know that you absolutely cannot trust vampires."

He looked around, meeting everyone's eyes. He pointed at a small girl in the back. "You," he barked, "have you come into contact with a vampire before?"

"N-no sir, I haven't," she said timidly. She sat rigidly in her seat, looking down at her desk.

"That will change, if you pass this class and become a full-time member of the clan," Mr. Roger stated with a smirk. He turned and sat down on the corner of his desk, holding the yard stick tightly in his hands. "Vampires are the devil's creatures. They will not hesitate to rip you in half when they get the chance," he said, looking grim.

I looked around me, and saw that everyone looked horrified. I fought the urge to smile, seeing as everyone looked ridiculous.

"Take notes, this is important," Mr. Roger said, and everyone hurried to pull out their notebooks. "Vampires can lift up to 500 pounds. Vampires can tear through most metals. Vampires can snap a human being in half," he listed as he wrote them down on the whiteboard behind him.

That all sounded unbelievable, but I wrote it down anyways. Now, as I sit here watching Phil tear through planks of wood as if they were paper and tossing them to the side to make beds with, I realize that Mr. Roger, my teacher from Defense against Vampires class, wasn't lying.

It's been about two weeks since I've been living with Phil and the other vampires, and I've learned a lot about them. I know now that they call themselves, "the peacekeepers," and that they sometimes fight other vampires to keep humans safe. I'd never learned about them in my training to become a member of the clan. I'd only learned that all vampires were the farthest thing from human beings that you could possibly get.

I've gotten much closer to Zoe over the past couple of weeks as well. She talks to me regularly, and buys me food from the market, and yells at Phil often on my behalf.

Tyler has been really nice too, and so has Troye, but you can tell that they're still a bit wary of me. They talk to me, but I can tell that they avoid speaking about some things around me.

The one who has truly been my biggest ally is Phil. He stays with me most of the time, and doesn't get mad when I feel uncomfortable. He makes sure that I feel safe, and that I eat and bathe regularly.

I've learned a lot about Phil too, like the fact that he hates being locked up in the house too long. He goes for walks often, sometimes ones that last for hours, just because he wants to get out for a while. He gets yelled at for it a lot, especially by Louise, because of what happened with the clan before.

I also learned that Louise is the head of the house, even though she was never really chosen to be. She just kind of assumed the position. I know that Troye and Tyler have a thing, but nobody really knows what that thing is. Phil jokes that Troye and Tyler don't know either. I know that on the upstairs level of this house is several extra bedrooms, which are soon going to be occupied by other vampires, and me. I know that all of the vampires here get along really well with everyone, except Hannah.

I asked Phil about Hannah the other day, and he explained that she gets into a lot of trouble. She fights other vampires for the sake of fighting, and she teases members of the clan. He also explained that he and Troye were really the only ones who liked her enough to put up with her.

"Dan, can you grab a couple of these please?" Phil called, and I looked up. He was finished splitting the wood and was now carrying the majority of it in his hands.