Doomstar's Appointment

CCs used:

Xisuma=Doomvoid/Doomstar
GenerikB=Hermitstar
StressMonster=Stresskit
Welsknight=Wellpaw
ImpulseSV=Imppaw

All other characters mentioned are OCs, except for the 8 other cats used in Doomstar's leadership ceremony, who, fun fact, are all based on ex-Hermits! See how many you recognize!!

"For the endlessness of your kindness, and for the teamwork and unity you manage to forge between even the most disagreeing of cats, I hereby announce that you shall now be referred to as Doomvoid, and that you will be appointed to a clan mediator."

The grey long-coated leader, Hermitstar, looked down at the dark-blue eyed ex-apprentice, smiling with pride. Fittingly, so did the rest of the Hermitclan, cheering at Doomvoid with loud meows and even mewls from the kits sitting by their parents' sides.

On the outside, Doom looked like nothing special. He was an average sized house cat with brown tabby fur around most of his body. Grey tabby lined his paws, tail, ears, and head, and blue-ish tabby fur went around his eyes like a raccoon mask. But, just like any cat, it wasn't so much what was on the outside than what was on the inside, and on the inside, Doom was a natural leader. What Hermitstar had said about him during his ceremony was true: he's the epitome of kindness and patience, and had helped not only his fellow apprentices, but even the adult cats of the clan, to settle their differences in order to work together. He wasn't sure why it worked so often, what he said always felt natural and coming up with solutions to social problems just came on a whim. He would've thought that ability was normal had it not been for the countless arguments he's had to dispute using what he saw as common sense. But nevertheless, he was understanding and always willing to hear everyone out, and despite his quick to solve nature, he never made a plan all by himself. His teammates and the cats around him would all pipe in as to what could solve their problems, and everything just seemed to fit into place.

Whether fortunate or unfortunate, Doom wouldn't be a mediator for long. After the death of the then deputy, Doom was appointed to fill the role rather quickly. He watched the clan grow from that spot, cats living and dying of either old age, illness or mishaps outside the clan walls.

And then, nearly 30 moons later, the fateful day happened. When the clan's founder and leader began losing what few lives he had left to his old age. When it was finally time for Hermitstar to move on, when his last life was hanging on by a thread and he felt closer to Starclan than ever, he called Doomvoid to the leader's den, where the medicine cat who had been caring for him in his ever dwindling days finally walked out to leave the two alone.

"Doomvoid," the old cat said, his voice slightly rasp, "I understand that leading the clan is... more than a heavy task, but I want you to know that I wouldn't have chosen you as my deputy if you weren't the most capable leader here. I trust the clan to be in your paws, and by tonight, Peatlily should be ready to lead you to the Moonstone,"

"Tonight?!" Doom asked in surprise, "Surely not that soon!"

"I had thought about telling you sooner... but I was too weak to do it, not until I had no choice..." Hermit explained. "I only want you to promise me one thing..."

Doomvoid crouched down beside Hermitstar, the old cat now struggling to keep his voice up.

"Promise me you'll continue the legacy of this clan the way it started... keep them together and unified, and never turn away from a cat in need... Hermitclan is a safe place... promise me you'll keep it that way..."

Doom closed his eyes and bowed his head out of respect and acknowledgement. "I promise,"

The leader breathed a sigh of relief, and then silence. Not a disrupted silence, not a silence that was just noise so close to silence it might as well have been that, but complete, total silence. Doom looked up, a new pacing in his heart, and his fears were quickly realized when he found Hermitstar's eyes void of all life, his chest no longer rising or falling and his spirit already hunting with their ancestors.