(Short) Bad Mood

CCs used:

Bdubs=Beedouble
Keralis=Kindface
Welsknight=Wellnight

(Note: I accidentally described Kindface as a tabby in this when he's actually a solid cinnamon cat, so I came back to fix it)

Any other characters mentioned are OCs

Beedouble scowled as he swiped, groaning frustratedly as his paw came out of the water to reveal he had missed another fish. The orange and brown tabby was no good at fishing, but when the other 2 hunting patrols were focused on catching mice and birds respectively, he had to be stuck on the patrol focusing on water based fresh-kill. And boy did he hate it.

It didn't help that he had to do a bunch of apprentice tasks that morning. He forgot to take a share of fresh-kill the morning before he was sent on a hunting patrol and tried to sneak a mouse while still on said patrol, only to be immediately noticed and caught by Wellnight. His punishment meant he had to stay up late and wake up early, both things he already had trouble doing.

Sleep deprived and attempting a task he was already bad at. Who could be happy about that?

"Doing alright there, Bubbles?" He heard a certain terracotta cat ask from beside him. Kindface looked to his best friend with concern, but Beedouble didn't notice as he kept his gaze fixated on the running river.

"I'm fine," the brown and orange tabby said, his tone matching his actual feelings. "I'm just bad at fishing, I'll get it eventually."

"I don't mean the fish." Kindface corrected, scooting a bit closer. "Had a rough morning?"

"I dunno, would you consider having to spend sunrise to sunhigh changing out the beddings in every single den a "rough morning"?" Beedouble shot back. They both stood silent for a moment, Kindface wondering what he should do before his tail subconsciously splashed the water around a bit.

"Can you stop that? You'll scare the fish," Beedouble said. Kindface smiled as he came up with an idea.

"Oh, that scares them? I think I might give them a heart attack," he said. Before Beedouble could question what he meant, he jumped directly into the river, splashing water over both cats.

"Hey!" Beedouble exclaimed, Kindface giggling a bit at the once fluffed up cat now being dampened. "Oh I'll show you what's funny, come here!"

Beedouble jumped into the water with his best friend, tackling him over and making them both tumble around in the river. They play-fought like that for at least 20 minutes, throwing water and occasionally kicking up the mud at the bottom too. Eventually, they both got tired of playing and got out of the river, shaking and laying down to dry off while the sun was still high over their heads.

Beedouble sighed as he started to relax. "Thanks... I needed that." He said, resting his head in his paws.

Kindface nodded and hummed in agreement.

"And uhm..." Beedouble continued, "sorry for being mean to you earlier, you didn't do anything, I'm just-"

He paused himself to let out a yawn.

"Tired?" Kindface asked.

"Yeah..." Beedouble nodded.

"You can take a nap now if you want," Kindface offered. "I'll see if I can catch some fish for both of us to take home."

"No, no, I can't leave you with all the work-" Beedouble said, picking his head up before being dismissed by Kindface waving his tail.

"I'll catch us a few, and when we get back we can just say the river was low on fish today." He said. "I'm sure the other patrols will catch more fresh-kill than they can carry, and we can always come back to catch more later when we're both well rested."

"Mm...okay, you win," Beedouble smiled, putting his head back down. "What're you gonna do if you're done and I'm still sleeping?"

"I guess I could take a nap as well," Kindface said. "No harm in extra sleep."

"Sure, goodnight... I guess," Beedouble said, finally closing his eyes. Despite being soaked, the sunlight gave a very comforting warmth to his fur, and before he knew it, he drifted off to sleep.

When he woke up later in the day, he noticed 5 fish off to the side and Kindface laying next to him, intertwining their tails and having his head laying on Beedouble's shoulder. He tried not to read into it too deeply, Kindface's love language was always lots of physical touch, even for his friends, but that didn't stop Beedouble's heart from fluttering as he ultimately decided to soak in the moment and that a few more minutes wouldn't hurt.