Chapter 5

After standing and waving at my daughter as she headed into the school building, I walked back over to the car.

Harvey didn't rush out to open my door like he normally does. Instead, he stayed grounded to his seat, clutching on his chest.

I walked around to the driver's side of the door, my gut telling me something was wrong. I tapped on the tinted window, hoping he'd roll the window down. He didn't.

Becoming more and more worried, I opened the door just as a strained gasp tore out of him.

"Harvey, what's wrong?"

He didn't say anything. Just kept clutching on his chest, his face becoming red like a tomato. That's when I realized he may be having a heart attack.

Panicked, I opened up the door to the backseat and threw myself into the seat. I snatched my cluttered purse, dumping all the content out on the seat. Picking up my phone, I immediately dialed 9-1-1 and closed the door.

The line rang for a second before the sound of a dispatch operator's voice -a woman- filled my ears. I tried my best to keep calm as I provided as much information as I could.

"Please hurry," I added shakily before ending the call and rushing back over to Harvey's side.

I heard the wailing of the siren moments before it reached us. Relieved when I saw the white and red vehicle pull up, I stepped out of the way so they could do their job.

Parents dropping off their kids stared in our direction, wondering what was going on. Some even pulled out their phones to record. I simply ignored them, solely focused on Harvey and his wellbeing.

Two paramedics hopped out of the vehicle and rushed to Harvey's aid. They moved quickly, confirming that what he was experiencing was indeed a heart attack.

Tears fell from my eyes, the fear of possibly losing Harvey tearing me up inside. I can't lose Harvey. I can't lose any more people I care about.

Harvey was lifted onto a bright orange stretcher and carried over to the back entrance of the ambulance. I tried to join him, but one of the paramedics held their hand out, blocking me from entering.

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but we can't have you ride with us," the guy said. "You can follow us to the hospital, though."

The double doors were slammed shut before I could demand a reason. Deciding that arguing with them would only delay the help Harvey needs, I ran back over to the car, relieved to find that the keys were still in the ignition.

If Harvey didn't let me and Everly mess around in the front seat from time to time, I would have forgotten how to drive a long time ago.

Buckling myself in, I felt the car purr beneath me when I twisted the key. I didn't care to adjust the seat or put on any music as I pulled out the parking lot and onto the road.

Cars split down the middle like the Red Sea, the ambulance speeding down the road with me behind it.

I wondered if I should call someone. Harvey lost his wife to cancer three years ago. Sam and I had given him as much time off as he needed during that difficult time.

I know he has children. I can't remember how many, but I know he has a daughter. I gripped the steering wheel, trying to search my brain for her name.

Tanya? No, that doesn't sound right.

Thea? Maybe.

It's right on the tip of my tongue. Tha- Tha... Thalia! That's it!