The Important Question

"So, are you going to tell me what's going on?" Kara asks, lightly stroking Lena's hair. She feels the raven-haired woman tense slightly at the question.

"Kara, can't we just enjoy the moment?"

"Of course, Lena." Kara wraps her arms around the other woman. "I'm sorry," she murmurs into her ear. They were still in Lena's office, curled up on the couch after their sexual activities. The sky outside was dark, the evening had crept in sometime around Kara's third or fourth orgasm, and she lost track of the time. With the shades rolled back up, Kara could see the hundreds of thousands of stars twinkling in the sky. Since LuthorCorp is one of the tallest skyscrapers, the lights from the city below can't take away the astronomical brilliance that is in the night sky. Lena moves from where her head rested on Kara's chest to look at the blue-eyed blonde.

"I'm sorry, Kara. I'm just..." Lena bites her lip. "I'm just stressed. Not my typical stress, but with helping Supergirl and finding out that Andrea betrayed my trust... I'm frazzled and I need this moment with you. You're the one constant I can count on right now." Kara watches as a few small tears threaten to escape from her eyes. Using her thumb to wipe them away, she places a soft kiss against Lena's forehead.

"I'll always be there for you, Lena. Anytime. I promise." Kara's stomach flips as she makes the promise. She ignores it. She's going to tell Lena soon. She just has to find the right time. "If you need to talk, I'm here too. Off the record, of course." Kara smirks as Lena lets out a small laugh.

"Do you want to order food?" Lena pauses. "We could go back to my place if you'd want to."

"I want to," Kara says without hesitation. A bright smile lights up Lena's face.

"Let's go." As they leave LuthorCorp with Lena's hand entwined with hers, Kara feels her stomach flip again, the guilt beginning to appear. Maybe she should tell Lena tonight about her identity. "Kara?" She snaps her head up to see Lena staring at her.

"Ah, sorry, Lena. What did you say?"

"I just wondered what you wanted to eat, beautiful. Are you all right?" Kara nods, shooting Lena a smile.

"Oh! There's a wonderful restaurant nearby with the best potstickers! You need to try it." Kara hopes her excitement about the potstickers is enough to distract Lena from asking about her well-being. It does.

"Perfect," Lena says, holding the door to her private car open for Kara. She steps in, sliding over to allow Lena to join her. After giving the driver instructions to drop them off at Lena's penthouse and then head to the restaurant to pick up the food, Lena faces Kara in the backseat, taking her hands in her own.

"Kara," Lena's voice is soft, nervous almost. Kara gives her hands a reassuring squeeze, unsure of what Lena is about to say. "God, I never thought I'd be nervous," Lena chuckles. Kara smiles. "Okay. Kara, um, I was wondering if y-you would –" Lena is cut off by her driver.

"Ms. Luthor. We are at the penthouse." Kara's heart sinks ever so slightly. What was Lena about to ask her? Lena smiles tightly, obviously upset that she was interrupted.

"Thank you, Erik." Lena pulls Kara out of the car into the massive apartment building. She nods to the doorman before following Lena quickly through the lobby. As they wait for the elevator, Lena shifts nervously, the unasked question hanging between them. Once the elevator reaches them, Kara begins to feel nervous. The energy between the two women is impalpable as the elevator takes them to Lena's penthouse. As the door slides open, Kara's mouth drops. The penthouse is massive, almost three times the size of her apartment. The far wall is just windows, floor-to-ceiling, of course, that highlight the skyline of National City. The living space, adorned with similar couches to the ones in Lena's office, spans the area between the windows and the enormous kitchen that lines the other wall. Stainless steel and white marble are all that Kara can make out from where she's standing.