Expect the Unexpected

Kara slips into CatCo quietly the next morning like she has been for the past two months. Maybe if she doesn't make too much noise or commotion, she can remain hidden from Lena as much as possible. She doesn't blame Lena for taking over CatCo, she understands it from a business perspective. It crossed her mind – er lives in her mind that Lena bought CatCo for personal reasons. Like her and Kara relationship reasons. Obviously, Kara isn't going to outright ask Lena about her reasons for purchasing CatCo, she'd rather do anything else. As Kara sits at her desk, Nia wanders over, a look of genuine concern covering her features.

"Good morning, Kara. How are you holding up?" Nia fidgets, trying to keep her voice low for privacy.

"Morning, Nia," Kara greets her. "I'm...okay. I'm so sorry about last night. I didn't mean to ruin our night out." Kara keeps her eyes cast down, embarrassed. A soft hand rests on her shoulder.

"Don't worry about it, Kara. I'm here for you. That's what friends are for." Kara allows a small smile to tug at her lips. "Unfortunately, Ms. Luthor has asked to see you in her office this morning. Do you want me to make an excuse?" Kara's throat tightens at the thought of talking alone with Lena. Nia's face is serious and for a moment, Kara contemplates asking her to cover for her. But she can't hide from Lena forever. She lets out a small sigh.

"No, that's okay. I'll be there in a moment." Nia nods, then heads back to her desk near Lena's office. Kara takes in several deep breaths, trying to ready herself for the conversation about to happen. Nia shoots her a comforting smile. On shaky legs, she makes her way toward Lena's office. She knocks on the glass door before pushing it open at the raven-haired woman's nod.

"Close it please, Kara. Come sit." Lena gestures to the chair in front of her. Taking a seat, Kara subtly wipes the sweat building on her palms on her dress pants. Sitting in front of Lena, Kara's nerves skyrocket. She can't tell if it's from the interaction they had at the pub, her sexual and romantic attraction to her, or a combination of both. Finally, Lena clasps her hands together and rests her elbows on the desk. The emerald green from her eyes smoulder, making Kara's heart pound wildly in her chest. "You're probably wondering why I have asked you here this morning." Kara waits anxiously, a pit beginning to form in her stomach. Millions of thoughts racing through her brain. Each second feels like an eternity. "As you know, Ashley is leaving the company. She's moving back home to Central City with her family."

"Yes, of course I recall." Kara nods. Last week they held a farewell party for her. She's been with the company since before Kara even became Cat's intern.

"Well, that means the editor-in-chief position will be open." It takes Kara a moment to understand what Lena's hinting at.

"Wait. You want to offer me the position?" Kara's mouth drops open as Lena shrugs like she's the obvious choice. Kara's mind is reeling. This was the last thing she expected when she walked into Lena's office this morning. Especially after the interaction last night.

"Yes, you're the clear choice, Kara," Lena says, crossing her arms and leaning back in her chair. "I understand if you need to take some time to think about it. It's a very important decision to make."

"Thank you, Le – uh Ms. Luthor. I'm not sure what to say."

"Like I said, take some time to think about it. I'll expect your answer by Friday." Lena's body language indicates that the conversation is over, but Kara can't seem to leave the chair. It's the first time in almost three months that she's been this close to Lena. "Kara? Did you need something else?" Lena's staring at her curiously. Kara's face grows hot.

"N-no. I'm sorry, Ms. Luthor." Kara hastily stands, starting to leave the office. She reaches the door, half expecting Lena to stop her. But she doesn't. Kara makes her way to her desk once more, slumping into it. Nia hurries over.