𝕥 𝕙 𝕚 𝕣 𝕥 𝕪 - 𝕖 𝕚 𝕘 𝕙 𝕥

𝕒𝕣𝕥 𝕔𝕣𝕖𝕕𝕚𝕥 𝕥𝕠 𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕖𝕥𝕪𝕓𝕠𝕩𝕖𝕤 (𝕥𝕨𝕚𝕥𝕥𝕖𝕣)
✧✧✧✧✧

Dumbfounded was the best word you could think of to describe your thoughts, or lack thereof. Eren, the same Eren who whisked you away to a romantic weekend at the beach. The same guy who was brave enough to face your parents and their esteemed colleagues just to dance with you at the charity ball. Eren, who had coordinated the nail polish of his pinkies with you since you've practically known him. The man who'd shared the big dreams he dared to have for himself in the twilight hours of the nights while your bodies were tangled together in the soft sheets of his bed.

Maybe all this time you were naive for thinking that you had earned a spot in those dreams. That you had belonged there as he belonged in yours.

Bile rose to your throat as all you could choke out was a muffled, "O-oh, okay."

Sexy. Mood. Ruined.

"No, I mean I didn't mean it like that. I just, I guess I- fuck. I don't know Y/N." It seemed his thoughts were just as fluent as yours.

"You don't have to say anything else," you sighed. "I'd rather you didn't say anything else."

So he didn't. You both knew that he wasn't in the headspace to say another word because knowing him, he'd only damn himself further.

Sleep didn't come to you as easily as you had hoped that night. Even with your eyes burning with exhaustion, they kept pried open as anxiety washed over you in consuming waves to the cadence of Eren's even breaths. His arms wrapped around you tightly as if he was subconsciously terrified that you might sneak out by morning.

Yet he was the one that wasn't there when you woke. A stripe of cool early morning sunlight lit the room, and for just a second you forgot your last conversation with him. But when those words found themselves rattling in your mind again, you found yourself gloomy again.

'I don't know if I want to marry you.'

Fuck. Why would he say that? It's not like you were expecting a proposal tomorrow, but, ya know, hearing that just didn't sit well. Was it something you did? Something you said? Or did he simply just not love you in the same capacity that you loved him?

After brushing your hair and washing the sleep from your eyes, you made your way down the stairs to the buttery smell of breakfast.

You couldn't help but giggle as you took in the sight. There Eren was, trying to juggle what looked like one hundred ingredients to a tasty group breakfast. Eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes, toast, fruit. His baby hairs clung to his forehead with sweat.

"What are you doing up already?" he asked when he finally noticed you coming down the stairs. "It's only 7:30." Although he'd clearly been awake for a bit, his voice with still rough and groggy.

"Dunno, just woke up I guess." This felt awkward. This shouldn't be awkward. "You could have woken me up, you know? Or even Niccolo, I'm sure he would have been okay to come down and help."

"Just because he's a chef doesn't mean he's the one that should be stuck cooking all the time," he huffed, grumbling when the pancake he tried flipping sort of folded in on itself in a goop of half cooked batter.

You gently took the spatula from him and took his place in front of the stove. "Here, let me help. Go cut some fruit or something and take a break," you commanded.