Chapter 16

ETHAN

I don't completely close Amara's door and lean on the wall next to it. I wait a few minutes next to it. I listen as her breath slows, and slowly transforms into a soft snore.

When I'm sure she's safe and asleep,I walk back to my car, and turn the ignition on. I wait a few more minutes to make sure nothing bad happens, and then drive away.

I feel happy to have been able to help Amara. I knew she didn't want anything serious with anyone, thanks to what Candace had said when she was drunk. Apparently, Amara had made up her mind not to date anyone till graduation. Moreover she had loads of other stuff to worry about, like her parents, volleyball and studies. Candace hadn't explained everything, and even if she had, I wouldn't have felt comfortable listening to it from anyone than Amara.

I wanted to take my time with her, and not rush her. It was clear she had an uneasy relationship with her parents, and I wanted to be here for her, without seeming to pushy. If it had been with an other girl, I would have probably given up, but with Amara, it's different. She's different.

She was worth the wait. We could be friends for now. Well friends who hookup from time to time, but what's wrong with that? I arrive to the hut and am greeted by a couple of the boys. Most of them are slouched on the sofa, passed out from the alcohol, but some of them are still awake.

"Hey guys" I shout, hoping for at least one sober response. TJ and Lucas lift up their hands to sign a hello. I sit down next to them and check them both.

"Where did you go? You left when it was getting fun. Jacob and Andrew danced on top of the counter. Then Jere barfed all over the place and-"

"Okay, yeah I get it TJ!" I interrupt him laughing slightly.

"Yeah, where were you?" Lucas interrupts. I think before I answer. If I'm wrong about one little detail, they're going to be on my back with Amara for god knows how long.

"I took Amara home, as she was far too drunk to go back on her own."

"Who's Amara again?" Lucas asks.

"She's the hot one. Tight black dress? Remember?" TJ winks to him.

"Shut up TJ." I burst out.

"Ohh, look who's getting all worked up because we're talking about his little girlfriend." TJ teases. I hit him with the nearest cushion I can find.

"She's not my girlfriend." I can practically hear TJ rolling his eyes.

"Yeah sure."

"Go back to sleep asshole." I say, pushing TJ back on his stomach. I try to hide it, but I can't stop smiling. Imaging Amara as my girlfriend was the best thought ever. I go to my room, take off my clothes and jump into bed. I find no problem in falling asleep, and fall in a deep slumber. It's 9 o'clock when I wake up. I walk down to the kitchen, and pour myself a coffee. There are still loads of guys on the sofa, so I decide to go back up to my room. As I walk back up, I grab my phone from my pocket, and open the message app.

*PRESTON*

me : hey I'm bored. Wanna go out for lunch?

preston : ugh. I can't . We have to go present shopping

me : ohh. Can I come?