Chapter 19

AMARA

"Would you like me to come with you?" I ask Candace, as she scoots around me.

"Eh, I'm fine." She scoffs, grabbing an overly-ripped apple.

"That's off." She exclaims, throwing the apple back to its place.

"When was the last time we went food shopping?" She asks, rummaging through the fruit tray.

"Way too long ago" I reply, grabbing my purse and putting it inside my handbag.

"That's why I'm coming with you. Plus, I don't have all my Christmas gifts."

"Ugh, fine, but move your ass, Macys closes at 8pm, and it's currently 6:30." She huffs, as she checks the time on her half-broken phone. I grab my bag, put on my uggs, and slip on my puffer jacket.

I grab my keys from the key tray and follow her out the door. I turn the key in the lock and run down the stairs. I rush out the building as I hear the engine of her white Subaru turn on and open the passenger door. I sit down and turn the heating on.

"By the way, you might want to fix that." I say, pointing at her phone.

"It's 5:30, not 6:30 Candie."

"Well shit." She laughs driving out the driveway.

About twenty minutes later, we're in the busy shopping centre. Candace is flirting with the H&M cashier whilst I'm trying to find my mom a Christmas present.

Finding her a present has always been a nightmare. She was picky in presents as she was in life.

My dad had once bought her an overly expensive, beautiful gem necklace, but she had taken it back because she had judged it too original. The presents I had given her had either been returned or sold. Some lucky ones might have survived in the attic but that was about it.

A sequinned smock suddenly caught my eye, and I took it off from the hanger. It was white, with a faint touch of blue, and the collar was covered in small sequins.

Perfect.

I walked over to the till, where Candace was still traumatising the poor cashier, and put my item on the little table. I payed and grabbed Candace by the shoulder.

"We will be heading out." I say, addressing myself to the cashier named Josh.

"I'm sure my friend here will call you, enjoy the rest of your peaceful day." I gutter, watching the guy's face relax, as he mouths me a thank you.

"But." Candace whines, reluctantly walking out the store, dragging her feet.

"I think you scared him enough for a lifetime." I chuckle, patting her on the back.

"Yeah fine whatever. Anyways, are you done with your gifts?" She asks. I don't even have time to respond when my phone vibrates in my back pocket.

*ANNOYING STUDY DATE*

annoying study date : heyy
annoying study date : wyd? wanna come over. boys r out *smiley face