Chapter 2

BRIGHTNESS

Brightness and Tamarin made their way back to their cave. After explaining what had happened on their little adventure had taken a while, but they were finally released. 

"I didn't know you were an animus." Tamarin broke the silence. 

"I couldn't tell you before," Brightness said. 

"I have a question." Tamarin hesitated. "Why didn't you enchant yourself to be able to talk sooner? It would have made a lot of things easier."

Neither of them said it, but Brightness knew she was thinking, For me.

"I only found out a few days before Visioner and I escaped from the cave," Brightness explained, wincing inwardly. Visioner. She'd never hear his gentle voice again. And the amount of times everyone would say his name would become less.

Visioner. The word sounded sweet, even when he was gone. 

"I wasn't sure," Brightness said after a moment. 

"I know." A soothing purple swept across Tamarin's scales. "You're worried about your soul."

Soul?

Brightness decided not to press the subject. It was probably nothing serious, anyways. "Yes," She replied instead. 

Silence.

"I'm sorry about your brother," Tamarin murmured after a moment. "I know you loved him."

The word loved made Brightness feel slightly lighter, yet her heart thumped rapidly. "I did," Brightness agreed. 

They reached their cave. Brightness curled up on her nest, watching Tamarin clamber onto her hammock.

As Brightness closed her eyes, she heard Tamarin's sleepy voice whisper, "Visioner will be happier now anyways."

I hope he is. But I hope he doesn't forget me, were Brightness's last thoughts before slipping into a dreamless sleep.