Chapter 17

VISIONER

Visioner was in the library, reading a scroll about the SeaWing Massacre. He shivered as he saw a drawing of the animus, Albatross. His eyes were cold and empty, filled with darkness. He had strangely pale scales for a SeaWing.

Like Anemone, I think, He thought. She was Queen Coral's daughter, right?

"Hi." Visioner jumped, startled. He turned to see Mink behind him. 

"H- hello," He stammered

"The replacement dragonets for the Gold Winglet are coming today," Mink said. "Do you want to come to see them?"

"Okay," Visioner agreed. "Can I come with you?"

"Sure." Mink grinned for the first time since Anemone and Tsunami's murder. "I think they're arriving right now."

Visioner followed the IceWing dragonet to the entrance of the mountain. "How many dragons are coming?" He asked as they walked. 

"A SandWing, IceWing, SeaWing, and hybrid," Mink listed. 

"So many deaths," Visioner murmured. 

"Not all of them are dead," Mink argued. "Penguin withdrew from the school. He's not dead."

"But the rest are," Visioner pointed out sadly. "Four new dragonets."

"Oh, and I think we're getting a new teacher," Mink told him. "For self-defense. Sunny's stepping up for Head of School."

Visioner frowned. "I thought Clay taught self-defense."

"Well, with one less teacher, everything's getting much more complicated, so I think they'll be needing some help with a class. I think a few other teachers will come later into the semester."

"Oh," He said softly. "I wonder if the new teacher will be nice."

"Maybe she'll replace Tsunami's temper," Mink joked, and they both fell into a comfortable silence until they reached the entrance. Moon, Turtle, Kinkajou, Peril, the teachers, and the remaining dragonets of the Gold Winglet were also there. It was the weekend, so the rest of the school was either finishing up homework or taking a break. 

"Hi Mink! Hi Visioner!" Kinkajou shouted, bounding up to them. Visioner blinked, taking a step back from the bouncy RainWing. How did she know him? Mink brushed one wing against his, and he stayed silent, giving Kinkajou a nervous wave. 

"Hi, Kinkajou." Mink greeted her. Kinkajou opened her mouth to say something, but Drench, the MudWing of the Gold Winglet, cut her off.

"There they are!" Drench shouted, pointing at the sky. Visioner looked up. Eight dragons were flying towards them, and the gathered dragonets shuffled back so they could land. 

The dragons to replace the dead ones had finally arrived.