Chapter 4

VISIONER

The cruel smile on Destroyer's face as he slit a thin red line into Visioner's neck grew bigger as he withdrew the knife and plunged it deep into Visioner's heart. 

Visioner screamed as blood spurted from the wound, and his scream turned into an ear-piercing cry as his father twisted the blade, opening the wound further. He collapsed to the ground, his head pulsing with agony. 

The world around him spun, and he looked up to see Destroyer's talon raised up, smashing into his face over and over again. 

As he faded into pained unconsciousness, Destroyer's gleaming amber eyes glowed in the darkness, watching Visioner's anguish with open amusement. 

Visioner woke up with a sharp yelp, and looked around wildly. 

No one.

It was just a dream,  He reassured himself. Just a dream...

Visioner shook himself, and stood up. His heart was still pounding, and the memory of Destroyer made him shiver violently.

I need to get out of here, Visioner thought. Or Destroyer will find me again.

Something in the back of his mind tingled, but he ignored it. 

Where do I go?

His instincts told him to go south, but the reason was hidden in a shroud of thick fog. 

I'll go anywhere to get away from here, Visioner thought unexpectedly. He frowned. Why? The cave was the only safe place in this dangerous world. Where had that thought come from? It was reckless and foolish to think like that.

I should go back to our cave, Visioner decided. It'll be better that way. I'll be safe.

He spread his wings, and launched into the sky, flying back to the cave he had spent his entire life in.