Chapter 13

MINK

"Stop here." Mink halted as Visioner breathed her the order. Her heart thumped rapidly. What would they find inside the cave?

Visioner was shaking so hard that Mink thought he would pass out with another seizure again. She hoped he wouldn't; it was terrifying when it happened.

"Are they in there?" Mink asked.

"I don't know." Visioner limped forward, and Mink hurried after him. They entered the cave, and Mink couldn't suppress a scream.

Tsunami was bleeding from the wound in her neck, crimson pooling by her limp body. Another SeaWing, with pale blue and pink scales, lay close by, her neck snapped into an awkward angle.

It was Anemone.

Mink felt the tears spilling out of her eyes, blurring her vision. Visioner stared at the two dead bodies.

"H- how could anyone do this?" Mink sobbed. "This is horrible! I- I can't believe it! They can't be dead!"

Visioner pressed close to her comfortingly.

"I know," He murmured.

Mink buried her face into her talons.

"I want Glacier," She cried. "I want her back. I want to see Snowfall."

For the first time since she had come to the academy, Mink wished she was still back in the Ice Kingdom, with snow and ice and Snowfall, curled up in her bed and watching snowflakes batter the windows. She wished Glacier was still alive, even though four years had passed since she had died from the plague that had taken hundreds of IceWing lives. 

She felt Visioner tremble besides her, and remembered that his father was dead, and he had no idea where his mother was. Mink hugged him, and let go very quickly. She didn't want things to get awkward.

"What do we do?" She whimpered. 

"I don't know," Visioner whispered. "But why would anyone want them dead?"

"I don't know." Mink echoed his words, feeling hollow inside. "I just don't know."

And then she buried herself in her wings and cried.