Chapter 6

MINK

"Mink!" Anemone called. 

"What?" Mink turned around, tilting her wings so she could fly and look at Anemone as well.

"Do you even remember where Visioner's grave is?" The SeaWing asked. 

"Of course!" Mink blinked. She spotted the place where they had buried Visioner. "There."

She landed near the grave. Tamarin and Brightness landed besides her. With a huff, Anemone thumped down behind them. 

Mink noticed that Brightness was silent, and at first, she thought it was because the NightWing was grieving her brother. But she noticed that Brightness's eyes betrayed no emotion, and her tail didn't drag on the ground.

She was just staring at Visioner's grave.

"What's wrong?" Mink asked. 

"He's not here," Brightness murmured. "No Visioner."

Mink frowned, taking a closer look at the grave. She gasped.

The dirt was churned up, and the place where they'd buried Visioner was empty. The only thing left were the white flowers.

Someone had taken Visioner's body.

VISIONER

Visioner's heart thumped as he hid behind a rock, watching as four strange dragons landed near where he had been buried. One of them were dark purple NightWing, another was blue and yellow RainWing, the third a pale pink and blue SeaWing, and the last a white IceWing with soft gray markings. Something- a memory?- flashed, and for a second, Visioner saw him and this strange IceWing dragonet exchanging paintings.

He watched as the four dragonets peered into his empty grave. 

Who are they? Visioner wondered. Do they want to kill me?

He shuddered.

I'd better go to our cave. If I manage to find it.

Visioner gaped at his father's dead body, frozen in shock and horror. He'd finally found the cave after a few minutes of searching, but this hadn't been what he'd expected at all.

Destroyer laid, dead, on the cave floor, blood spilling out of his mouth. A huge boulder sat on top of him, and his skull was dented, a million cracks on his body.

What happened here? Visioner thought. All at once, his burns flared up, and he gagged, stumbling to the ground. 

What's going on? Was I a part of this?

Did I kill Destroyer?

Overwhelmed by grief, Visioner crawled over to where Destroyer's body lay, and curled up under his wings, waiting for sleep to come.