Chapter 11

BRIGHTNESS

Brightness snapped a twig into half, fuming. Her vision turned red, and the entire place smelled like smoke.

Why, exactly, she didn't know. Perhaps that was what anger smelled like. 

"Brightness," Tamarin said softly, sitting down besides her. "Calm down. Visioner's just confused."

"Destroyer almost killed us." Brightness's talons shook, and she broke the twig again. "He tortured us, and he's saying that he isn't evil."

"I know," Tamarin soothed. "But Visioner lost his memories of what happened. All he knows right now is that Destroyer is dead and he was buried alive. He doesn't even know what happened to his mother."

"Starspeckle." Brightness slammed the twig on the ground, and it splintered into pieces. She could see the waves of calm patience come from Tamarin, but Brightness let the anger bubble inside of her. "Destroyer killed her. He's evil. He deserves to die. I'll bring him back from the dead and kill him all over again."

"Brightness." Tamarin cupped her claws around Brightness's snout, her pale eyes staring into her violet ones. "Destroyer is dead. Visioner is alive. He's okay. Calm down. Take a deep breath."

Brightness closed her eyes and breathed in. She let calmness- which kind of smelled like bananas- wash over her, and she slowly let it take over, listening to the gentle sound of the whispers of quiet coming from Tamarin. 

"I'll leave you alone for now," The RainWing said. She stood up, touching the cave walls. "I'll see you tomorrow."

After she had left, Brightness opened her eyes. The red had vanished, and she felt better. 

No, not really.

There was one more problem to deal with, and then she would truly be happy.

Tsunami.

ANEMONE

Anemone helped Tsunami back to her office. 

"Are you sure you're alright?" She fretted. 

"Of course!" The dark blue SeaWing growled. "I've been stuck in the healing center for an entire week!"

"Okay, okay.  No need to be so growly," Anemone grumbled. 

"I'm going murder whoever did this to me." Tsunami sunk her claws into stone. "I mean, me! The SeaWing dragonet of destiny! And in line to the SeaWing throne!"

"You're not a dragonet anymore," Anemone pointed out. "And there are no more prophecies."

"You never know," Tsunami said with a shrug. "Hey, you know you're getting a new dragonet in your winglet, right?"

"Really?" Anemone looked up. "To replace who?"

"Cyprus." Tsunami winced. Anemone guessed that she was feeling guilty for not being able to stop a death in her school. "But, hey, at least I know the new dragonet."

"Who are they?" Anemone asked. Will they be in my cave? She thought. I already share a cave with Drench and Hawk. I guess they'll go to Tamarin's cave. She scowled as she thought about it. Brightness is already ruining it for me. I hope this new dragonet won't touch Tamarin.

"Her name's Fi-" 

But before Tsunami could finish her sentence, a sharp dagger zoomed through the air and plunged straight into her neck. It yanked out of her scales, darting back to where it had come from.

"Tsunami!" Anemone screamed. She looked around, and saw a horribly familiar dragonet holding the blood-stained dagger.

It was Brightness. Anemone opened her mouth to shriek again, but the NightWing reached out with one talon, jerking it swiftly. 

Something in Anemone's neck cracked, and everything went dark.