Chapter 9

MINK

Mink watched Visioner flying next to her. His expression was one of dread and guilt, and she caught him looking back at the cave he had lived a long time in. Visioner started as he noticed her staring, and Mink looked away quickly. She felt a pang as she remembered all the times they had sat together, wings overlapping and tails entwined. 

Envy twisted through her as she saw Tamarin and Brightness gliding through the blue sky, laughing and brushing against each other. 

They could have been like that. If only Mink had stopped Visioner from rescuing Brightness.

"We're almost here," Mink called to Visioner. "Do you see that mountain with the two fangs? That's Jade Mountain, where an academy for dragons from every tribe can go to learn about the world."

Visioner shivered. "The world is dangerous," He murmured. "And other dragons kill each other, just for the fun of it."

Mink blinked at him, shocked. Was that really what he thought?

"Only a few dragons," She reassured him. "Definitely none in Jade Mountain Academy."

Visioner nodded, but he still looked doubtful. 

"Where's your mother?" Mink asked, suddenly curious. Visioner shrugged, blinking rapidly.

"I don't know. I miss Starspeckle," He whispered. "She'll be worrying about me. And Destroyer. Do you think she'll think that I killed him?"

"Of course not." Mink winced. What will he think when he finds out that we killed him? "I'm sure Starspeckle will be fine."

As she said those words, Mink realized that Visioner had never really told her about his mother. Or his childhood, in any matter. She wondered what had happened to her.

"I'm sorry, but I never got your name," He said hesitantly. "But you seem to know mine."

Mink swallowed back tears. Visioner had forgotten even her name.

"Mink," She managed to choke out at last, forcing a smile on her face. "I'm Mink."