My Firework - Ranchers

"So you've really never seen fireworks Tango?" Jimmy asked, shoving a blanket into the trunk of Tango's car.

"No sir. Just seen 'em in games and movies."

"Well you'll be in for a treat then! I promise they're much better in real life." Tango beamed, excited to be able to witness his first ever firework display. It wasn't uncommon for people to light fireworks, Tango had just never lived in a town where fireworks were allowed.

On the other hand, Jimmy had seen fireworks too many times to count. Him and his friend Scott used to watch them together when they were younger. Jimmy missed those days but was excited to share the light show with Tango nonetheless. He was also excited because he had decided that today was the perfect day to confess. A romantic light show, an excited Tango, and a whole lot of feelings. Jimmy was nervous, sure, but if he didn't tell Tango tonight then he never would.

"Well if fireworks are that spectacular we gotta get going! I wouldn't miss this for the world!" Tango grabbed Jimmy's hand and practically dragged him to the car. Tango shoved him into the passenger side before speedily rounding the car to get in his own seat. He pulled out of the driveway of Jimmy's house and started off towards the football field of the highschool, the location of the firework show.

The two arrived and Jimmy grabbed the blanket out of the car's trunk. Tango patiently waited, bouncing on his toes. Together they set off to find a good spot on the field among the other people who were there. They passed plenty of friends before settling down on the field on top of their blanket.

As the sky grew darker Jimmy watched Tango grow more and more excited. He couldn't help but smile as Tango paraded around and told everyone about how he'd never seen fireworks. Tonight he'll see fireworks. Tonight he'll see how he's my firework.

Lost in thought, Jimmy hadn't seen the person walking up behind him.

"Hey! This seems familiar. " Scott smiled at Jimmy, "Just like our childhood."

"Hi Scott! Long time no see."

"No kidding. I missed you."

"I missed you too." Scott watched as Jimmy's gaze drifted back to Tango.

"Ah. So he's the lucky one isn't he" Jimmy turned his attention back to Scott.

"Excuse me?"

"The one you finally fell for?" Jimmy's cheeks went pink.

"I- Wha- Its not- what?!?!?!" Scott chuckled and patted Jimmy on the shoulder.

"No need to deny it, I see how you look at him. I can tell he makes you happy. I'm happy for you." Jimmy allowed his vision to be led back to Tango, the man who made his heart explode like a firework. He smiled.

"Yeah, he does make me happy."

"Good." Scott smiled sadly, "You deserve that Jimmy. and so much more. And I'm sorry I couldn't be that for you. Keep in touch ok? And hey! I want updates! Knowing you, you haven't told him yet. Keep me posted." The two laughed together bittersweetly.

"Thanks Scott. See you around." And with that, Jimmy watched as Scott disappeared into the crowd. As soon as Scott left, Tango filled his space.

"Who was that Jimmy?" Jimmy smiled.

"An old friend."

Tango sat down on the blanket, Jimmy following suit. The show was starting. Silence spread over the crowd as everyone waited. Then after everything went still, the fireworks sprung to life.

BOOM POP CRACKLE BOOM HISS CRACKLE

Countless colors filled the sky as firework after firework exploded. Reds and Blues, Purples and Greens, a rainbow of glitter filled the night sky. Tango was in awe at it all. He had never seen something so chaotic yet so beautiful. He smiled, enchanted by the evening sky.

Jimmy loved fireworks, but for some reason he couldn't bring himself to look at them tonight. As pretty as the fireworks above his head were, the ones reflecting in Tango's eyes were much prettier. Jimmy watched the sparkle in Tango's eyes as each new firework danced across the sky. Suddenly, Tango turned his head, eyes meeting with Jimmy's. The two blushed but didn't look away. Tango tilted his head and smiled.

"Thank you. This is amazing Jimmy." Jimmy beamed and scooted closer to Tango. Tango fixed his gaze back on the sky but silently scooted closer to Jimmy as well. The tips of their fingers touched together. Jimmy took a deep breath and slowly intertwined his had with Tango's. Tango squeezed his hand in response. Hands intertwined, eyes to the sky. The pair watched till the close of the show.

The last firework exploded, gracing the sky with its presence. The last sparks faded leaving nothing but a dark sky and a quiet night. Jimmy moved his eyes back to Tango, who was already staring at him. Jimmy leaned closer, now was his chance. He whispered so that only Tango could hear him. His words weren't meant for anyone else.

"You know, every time I see you my heart explodes. You make me so happy Tango. I could watch 1000 fireworks and none of them would be even half as gorgeous as you. You're my firework Tango... will you let me be yours?" Tango smiled and leaned in close.

"I thought you'd never ask." Tango connected their lips in a short, sickeningly sweet kiss. Jimmy couldn't contain his smile. He leaned in again and kissed Tango one more time. His Tango. His firework.

"I think I love you." Tango laughed.

"Oh Jimmy, I love you too."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy 4th of July to my fellow Americans. I love this story. Thank you for letting me write this. Love you all!