Beyond The Unearthing

Runaway by AURORA

Ayato POV.

The still office looks like a mess in my panicked state. Bound books with engravings scatter themselves across the carpeted floor, the chandelier lighting up every corner of the room as I frantically flip the pages of the books I have scoured through in the library. I am practically breathing in the words, my fingertips sliding themselves smoothly across the old parchment, eyes scanning line after line without stopping.

"Fire hotter than hell, torture worse than death itself. The divine punishment claws its power at those who disobey the great orders of Celestia. A march of a thousand fire ants over your body, hellfire burning your body inside out. The legends of this punishment may seem overstretched but you will find in every research and scripture, that the most common similarity is the pain that will set a human to their limits and beyond. You will find yourself wishing that you were stabbed a hundred times."

Sighs of disbelief echo through the enoki walls, and before I could even process everything there is a knock on the door.

As if caught, I perch my head up quickly. The silhouette of Thoma behind the canvassed door is made apparent by the lights outside in the hallway shining in.

"What is it, Thoma?" I sigh, closing my book.

"May I come in, My Lord," His voice is muffled by the screen.

"You may," I give him my permission as I clear up the table lazily.

He slides the door apart and looks around warily, the worry that is always constant in his eyes are now more intense than ever.

"Are you alright?" He asks carefully as I lean back in my seat behind the large mahogany table, all kinds of messes everywhere.

"I would be lying if I said I was," Not wanting to make a fool of myself.

"My lord, I uh... Have something I want to speak with you about," He finally speaks honestly as he closes the doors, making himself comfortable in front of the table.

"Speak," I clear the space between us for some decency.

"I noticed that-"

"Just to be honest and straightforward," I look at him.

"Well, it's just that you haven't been yourself lately. In fact, you haven't been the same since the day you woke up and ran up to Lady Ayaka and me in tears. My suspicions were confirmed in the meeting room a week ago. My Lord, you have never been one to be so irrational. Has there been something going on?" Thoma confesses like a criminal, hanging his head deeply.

I can only sigh and massage my head as he goes on.

"This new obsession with the Abyss..." He looks around at the books before continuing, "It isn't normal, My Lord. I know it is not my place to pry but I keep trying to wrap my head around your recent decisions and I can't help but, be quite concerned. This can't have anything to do with the Shogun. So, why?"

"Would you believe me if I told you I'm just feeling overworked?" I raise an eyebrow at him.

"If it was so, you would've been like this a long time ago," Thoma says.

I contemplate for a minute or so as he fidgets with his fingers nervously. I have never once doubted this man who has served this household and me so diligently. The blonde boy who was abandoned by his father worked his arse off in this place, struggling against servants who had a history with the clan much longer than he did. He put up with the pathetic bullying all on his own, swearing his life and knightly rights to me the day he mastered the art of the polearm. We were 18 then. Ayaka, Thoma, and I grew up together under this gruelling roof. And despite all that my clan has put him through and through, he has never left my side. Competent, reliable, and trustworthy. I am confident when I say that no other master would feel relief in letting their right hand man takeover their Head duties other than me. 

"Then... would you believe me if I said that this is not my first life?" The words leave my mouth like cards flicking away from a magician's hand.

As I explain to Thoma all the nonsensical things I have experienced up until now, he listens without saying a word patiently. The occasional "What?" and "My Lord?" escapes his lips once in awhile but the man still listens nonetheless. I come to the realisation, with the confession of my heavy burdens coming to an end, that the person sitting in front of me now was not a servant nor a loyal dog to the Kamisato Clan, but a true friend.

"I suggest you seek for a doctor, My Lord. Pardon my words but, one not for the body, but the mind," Thoma sighs in concern, yet again.

"You think I've gone mad, haven't you?" I laugh sarcastically at myself.

He doesn't answer.

"Of course. If I were in your place, I shall think of myself as a madman as well," I shake my head with a solemn smile.

"You do know it is not possible for something like this to happen, My Lord? I-I'm sure you do. The Lady is concerned; I am concerned," Thoma's expression makes me want to laugh at myself even more.

"Your father is dead. He was dead the moment you arrived to work for us," I speak as I stare into the air.

"I'm sorry?" Thoma's eyes blow wide open.

"Don't act dumb, you know that. In fact, you hid that," I look at him as he stares at me in disbelief.

"How did you know? There's no way even if you have such high pow-" He pauses in his sentence and looks at me slowly.

"You told me that. One life ago, that is," I smile fades.

The brief moment of silence aches through the room, waving through into the hallway solemnly. The unavoidable soundless pages flipping themselves with the wind coming in from the window can be heard, and I take notice of the smell of the musty old books, bringing me some sort of comfort within this awkward moment. Thoma sits in contemplation, deep in his trail of thoughts, before he stands up as he heads to the door.

"If... If what you said is indeed true, I shall believe you blindly, My Lord," He bows before making his way out.