Kamisato Estate

Faint Song of the Rabbit Moon by Ichiko Aoba

Y/N POV.

The horses gallop across the warm roads of Inazuma, the luxurious carriage attracting some attention as I sigh inside the comfortable seat made of the finest velvets from Fontaine, looking out the window restlessly. Today, I am to visit the Kamisato Estate as Ayato wishes. It's been weeks since that day on Natsui Beach and we have not brought up a single thing about what had been said. But I understand, now more than ever, that although Ayato won't be able to tell me much, the weight on his shoulders far exceed the many duties one should be able to carry. The flashbacks and aching migraines have stopped in due time, providing me relief in this sport span of time.

"We've arrived, My Lady," The coachman announces as the carriage comes to a stop.

"You're here," Ayato makes his way to me, kissing the back of my palm affectionately in front of his servants. Shocked at his actions, their eyes widen and look towards the floor in fear of seeing something they aren't supposed to.

"Yato, I don't th-" He cuts me off with a tug at my hand as he beckons me to follow him.

The Kamisato Estate's familiarity assures me comfort and security, the history of this very region embedded in the old hinoki, fine rice paper sealing the corridors of doors upon doors supported by enoki wood, the floorboards warm from summer's kisses. The maids of the household take a glance at me, smiling as they bow politely; an obligation of manners under the gaze of the Head of the clan.

However, the maidens at the Grand Narukami Shrine are held on a pedestal like no other. With the leadership of Lady Yae, the shrine has come to be known as one of the greatest temples in Teyvat, written and drawn by masters of their craft. The elegance and grace of the Grand Narukami's shrine maidens are that of a swan's, renowned to be beautiful. Our education that begins at the young age of 3, beginning with the letters of Teyvat's language, with the second being Inazuman's mother tongue. At 6, we begin to learn the ropes of the shrine, our mothers guiding us along as they do their work in red and white kimonos. The women of the shrine are allowed to leave the shrine for half a day once they turn to the age of 18, and many, begin to find their love at this time. They marry, have a child, but continue their work in the shrine until the age of 25. If a maiden has a child before that age, if it is a daughter, their daughters are required to follow in their footsteps and adapt to the same life and only the mother can fully leave her shrine duties on her 25th birthday.

A handful of girls have showed defiance, being put into the life of a shrine maiden without a choice, but they eventually adapt after realising nothing can be done about it. Afterall, the shogun's orders are absolute, and any form of disobedience carries great shame to the family. It is an honor to be able to serve the shrine under the shogun's familiar directly, and those who do not perceive as one, are killed. We live on free meals, shelter, and education which provides us, if we are capable enough, to study at the famous Akademiya in Sumeru for a year, a life that many would die to have.

And so, their bows that although are indeed of obligation, remains respectful and in admiration. Many lords court for the shrine maidens afterall, and to not only be able to covet for the only one with a vision other than Lady Yae, they must think that their Head truly has the charm. I sigh with a smile at how Ayato might get a bit cocky at the thought.

"Is Ayaka here today?" I ask Ayato as I follow behind him, his grasp still on mine.

"Today is not about her, it's about me," Ayato smirks back at me, stopping in front of his big doors at the end of a hallway.

"Can you get any cockier?" I retort with a smile.

"I wonder, darling," Two servants open the door to his chambers as he orders them to leave.