Hidden

Lover by Taylor Swift

Y/N POV.

"Miss? Miss, please wake up. The library is closing in 10 minutes," The voice of a woman echoes through my mind, the lights of the library shining through my eyelids as I flutter my eyes open.

"Oh!" I look out the window, the city of Inazuma now nestling comfortably in the night.

I stand, bowing profusely as I pick up my bag and walk towards the grand doors. The once packed library is now quiet and empty, with only a few librarians putting back the books onto their original shelves. The shadow of the towering shelves loomed over each other; the high ceiling lit up brightly to accommodate for the spacious auditorium.

That's right... My books!!

"I'm sorry, but do you know where the books I was reading awhile ago are?" I scurry back to the librarian who woke me up.

"Oh? A kind gentleman took it from you before leaving. He told us not to wake you up until you did since you were tired. We all thought you knew?" Her eyes widened in concern.

"A man?" I repeated her words in confusion.

"Yes! He was rather tall and had blue hair and eyes, quite handsome too, I should add. I heard the Head Librarian call him Commissioner," She blushes slightly.

"Ah... Thank you!" I smile before hurrying out as the other librarians tend to the closing.

Ayato, huh? What is he doing at the library, and with my books????

I bring my hand up to my lips, my knuckles brushing over the pink skin as I ponder on what could have happened whilst I was knocked out on the couch. As I walk up the Chinju Forest, the stone steps seem to be just too many at this moment. The lights at the Grand Narukami Shrine are brightly lit for the citizens of Inazuma, although closed, we are still the hope and pride of our nation. As I open the door into the rooms of the shrine, several other maidens were already asleep except for Lady Yae.

"Lady Yae!" I smile, greeting her as I pour myself a cup of water.

"You like that Yashiro rascal, dont you?" She smiles slyly, the newspaper in her hand now lying on the dining table.

"I-Im sorry?? No, what? When and how did you end up with that conclusion?" I spit out my drink in utter shock.

"Oh, darling. My pretty, little, Y/N. You can't possibly think that you could hide your feelings for him, did you? The whole of the shrine can already smell your young love in this spring," Lady Yae stands, rolling the newspaper in her hand. A part of me thinks that she's going to hit me with it before she props my chin up to look at her, moving my face side to side before pushing the paper to me.

"You'll go, I have more important things to do than rubbing shoulders with the elites," She sighs, stretching as she walks into her room at the other end of the hallway.

I unroll the newspaper hastily, and across the front page is the announcement of the Kamisato clan's ball. A letter drops to the floor, and I bend down to pick it up, opening it with a gasp as I read. My footsteps lead into my room, closing the door as I place what Lady Yae gave me on my table before turning around to see myself in the mirror, red as beet.

She gave me her invitation to the ball.

"Do I really like him?" I mutter, my fingers fidgeting with themselves.

Plopping myself onto my bed, my eyes find themselves staring at the ceiling blankly, my heart feeling fuzzy all of a sudden. I close my eyes, breathing in as I think about Ayato again. The warm whispers of his words from his cold breath tickling my ears, his fingers combing through my hair before he kisses the ends of it, the endless abyss in his eyes that calls for me when I look at him. Moments of that day in the Chasm replays in my mind as I bury myself in my pillows, ears already blushing at the thought of his hands on my bare back. My hands take the invitation as I scan through the fancy words, already thinking of what to wear and say...

Ah... But, I don't have any nice clothes...

I walk to my cupboard, a few steps away from my bed as I slide open the door. My eyes furrow in concern as I look at my limited options. Aren't I too much of a workaholic? A whole row of my shrine maiden kimonos hang themselves in the wooden cupboard, and a few pieces of folded clothing were in the drawer, too casual to be worn to a fancy ball. I make a note to myself to visit my home again, I'm sure I must have something there that's much nicer... As I thought about my home, my dad and mom fills my mind.

It's been half a year since I've visited them there. I was just too busy with my life that I had forgotten all about the shophouse. My dad ran a small store at the first floor selling fruits and vegetables, and we live upstairs of it. Sometimes, Itto and his gang would help out when my parents were busy tending to other matters. Before I became a shrine maiden, my mother often worked at the shrine and only came back at night. When she stopped working as a shrine maiden, she started working together with my father at the vendor. We came from humble beginnings, and my dad was in love with her because of her beauty. She had gotten pregnant at the young age of 23, and despite that, Lady Yae was still nice and offered to give her less work because she had become a mother. I was sent to study with other kids in the city and became friends with Yoimiya there. I only started becoming friends with Itto when I saw a poor Oni crying about how he lost a battle in an Onikabuto fight... He was just 17, then.

And while I had a normal childhood, Ayato struggled in the chains of his house... I wonder what it's like growing up like him. Had he ever played an Onikaubuto fight? Or even swum in the blue shores of the beach?

I glance at the mirror and see myself blushing once again.

Maybe... just maybe, I do like him.