Forgotten In Reincarnation

kate's not here by girl in red

Y/N POV.
The warm summer winds breeze past me, a few strands of my hair blowing onto my face as I look out into the sea. Ships sail on a viridian waters, the seagulls above diving down to have their feed. And as I lean lazily against the enoki frame, the door slides to the edge as the now wall becomes empty, opening the room to the great view of the Inazuman sea. My kimono feels tight under my stomach but I don't know why. I think it's because I had too much to eat last night.

The ruffles of sheets could be heard before I'm in the warm embrace of the man who keeps appearing in my dreams. He whispers a few words to me but I'm not paying attention, even as he showers me with light kisses at the nape of my neck. I look down and hold his hands, making him shift to my side.

"I can't believe I'll wake up like this everyday," I hear myself speaking.

"I can't believe I'll wake up to you everyday," I hear him say.

His voice is like a smooth melancholy, like a song that plays in a ballroom, the tenor in an opera. The ryokan that we reside is majestic and spacious. I can hear the steps of our servants preparing the kitchen and gardening the well-cared flowers. It feels... peaceful.

He slips his hands away from mine and holds it instead, smoothing the palm of his hands across mine as he brings it onto my stomach. He mutters sweet nothings, telling me to sing that song he loves.

Too peaceful.

I groan in slumber, stretching my limbs lazily like a puppy who has woken up from their nap. I run my eyes tiredly as I try to recall the dream that feels just too real. The only lingering memory I kept was that I know it has something to do with the dream I had when I woke up in front of the Scared Sakura, yet whenever I wake up, I can't seem to remember why exactly. It feels impossible to decipher these dreams that I can't remember. It's never happened before; I never forget my dreams.

I stare at the ceiling in defeat, sighing out loud before standing up to start my day at the shrine as usual. Outside my room, a few maids have already woken to, the soft clangs of plates and pots echo through the hallway as they busy themselves into making breakfast for the rest of us, a habit we have cultivated when I was a young teenager. As my feet touches the cold floor, the memory of meeting the Traveller's sibling echoes to the front of my mind. Although our conversation was vague and short, I am not a stupid woman who would brush off such hints aside.

"You dream of things that feel real, don't you? But when you wake up, you can't remember any of it?"

"We share the same enemy, and under this façade of a world, we are allies."

The sentences repeat in my head for what seemed like hours on end, the many questions slowly being answered as I try to piece the information together. There must be a reason why they told me all of this; a reason why it felt like both a threat and warning at the same time. Why was I the only one they told this to? And then, it clicked.

Are those my memories?

I furrow my eyebrows and stare at my feet on the floor as a flurry of flashbacks run through my mind. Yet, no matter how hard I try to justify it, it just didn't make any sense. My eyes wander around in the air, seemingly fighting my demons as I do so, denying all possible thoughts of that. Any sane person would know that such a theory would be physically impossible but... If it truly were my memories, why couldn't I remember any of it? The people, the voices, the places, everything? There is no way I wouldn't have at least known at least something or someone in it. What did they mean when they said façade?