3

incoming call from bedard

"hey connor" i said in a sad tone. i think he could sense the mood.

"hey what's up?" he said in a concerned voice.

"my parents found out about us kissing, my friend told them. they don't like it." i said breaking the news to him. he didn't say anything. he just look at the camera with a blank stare, at a loss for words.

"why not?" is all he managed to get out

"because well first of all you live 6 hours away, and they think you're a stereotypical hockey boy." i said sadly to him. seeing the look on his face hurt more than the fact we couldn't date. it looked like i broke him.

"do they know that i'm not like the others? i mean obviously i respect their wish for us not to date, i wouldn't want to go behind their backs, but can't we try to fight this, right?" he said with some hope.

"i don't know, i can try talking to them again, i just don't know tho connor. not a lot can change their minds."

"how bout this- i have a game in manitoba on saturday, so in less than a week, and then i can meet them?" he said hoping i'd say yes.

"i would love that, and im sure they would love to know you're making an effort for this." i say to him smiling.

"maybe we can also go on a date afterwards?" connor said waiting for my answer, but i never answered. i was too in shock that connor was actually asking me out.

"um, yeah, yeah sure that works" i somehow got out, i was really excited, but i can't tell if he can tell.

me and connor called for a couple hours talking about our lives and everything that was going on. even in the midst of all this excitement i couldn't stop thinking about cassidy, how today she told my parents my secret, she completely betrayed me. she's been my best friend since we were like 5, we met in kindergarten. she knows how important that kiss was to me- my first kiss. and yet she still felt the need to tell everyone, as if it wasn't just something special for me to hold onto. now the first time i've ever felt true love- everyone knows it.

cassidy 😘
hey i think i left my toothpaste in ur bag
isabellllll
hey
why r u ignoring me
is it bc of the connor thing?
i'm sorry but they were bound to find out anyway
isabel please just respond
we can talk abt this

isabel
i'll bring the toothpaste by ur place omw to work

cassidy 😘
um is that all?
your not going to talk abt the other 7 messages?

isabel
what is there to talk abt.
they know now and there's nothing either of us can do abt it.

cass
can we at least talk abt it?

i didn't think it as important to respond. i didn't want to talk about it, what happened happened and you can't change that. but what i do need to change is my parents mind. they need to know what a great guy connor is.

"hey mom, dad, i have a question" i asked them both. my mom was cooking supper in the kitchen, chicken fettuccine alfredo, my favourite! i knew she was trying to apologize by making it, she felt guilty for what she said, she knows i forgive anyone who makes me alfredo.

"yeah kiddo" my dad says curious as to what i'm about to ask.

"connor has a game here on saturday, can i go watch it? i don't work that day!" i say eager to hear their response.

"oh sweetie, i don't know. i don't want you to get too attached to this connor guy, me and dad haven't even met him." my mom says hoping i'll take it well.

"then meet him. he'll be in the province so we can arrange for you guys to meet him and get to know him better, so he can prove that he's not like the other hockey boys. pleeeease?" i say practically begging.

"fine. but only if we get to meet him to." my dad sternly says.

"yay! thanks guys!" i say giving my mom a hug from behind while she stands at the stove.

"wait we're meeting connor bedard on saturday?" chris asks from the living room. he was under a blanket so i didn't even notice he was there.

"no, mom and dad are, you and skylar aren't." i tell my brother wanting to keep connor for myself.

"wait why not?" chris whines.

"because i don't want to scare him off, not yet at least." i reason with chris.

after some arguing, i tell chris that him and skylar can meet connor on saturday, they are beyond excited. then i text connor to let him know

isabel
my parents said it's ok if i come to ur game on the weekend! but my brothers have to come too, hopefully that's ok.

bedard <3
oh i can't wait!
i totally don't care, i'm excited to meet them! i can get you tickets to the game, i'll send u them