Twelve.

The Opera Populaire, Main Auditorium. 

***

"Helena, please! Not so tight!" Y/N exclaimed as her best friend continued to pull on the strings of her new costume corset. It was for her first costume of the night, in which she was supposed to be dressed as a local woman of Carthage -- separated from the other woman on stage by the bright white accents in her costume, while the others wore only shades of brown. Despite its simplicity, the dress was of fine quality for a costume. 

"Teddy, darling, if you can yell this loud, it means you can sing this loud," Helena scolded, tying the corset off and draping a white shawl over her friend's shoulders, "Your heavenly curves deserve to be highlighted!" 

Helena then moved on to applying make up.

"So... excited for your first full dress rehearsal?" Helena asked with a smile, trying to excite Y/N. 

"I suppose so. I'll be more excited when we're performing for a real audience in a week's time. Plus, I am excited to see my dress for the last act. You are a genius, after all."

"Yes, and your mystery man will find you quite alluring," Helena poked her teasingly, "He will be unable to resist you."

"Helena! Please..." Y/N blushed, playing with the fabric of her skirt. She looked up at Helena in the mirror, "Do you really think...?"

"I know," Helena stated, "You will be the most beautiful woman he has ever seen. My guarantee -- unfortunately, it will have to wait until opening night."

"Why?"

"You aren't allowed to attend dress rehearsal in the dress! It has real crystals sewn in and I have a very limited amount of replacement jewels."

"I understand. I am looking forward to it."

Helena was about to say something else when a ringing sounded through the backstage. The sound meant that the actresses and actors were meant to assume their placements, and the dress rehearsal was to commence. 

Y/N took one last look at her own reflection, and smiled at Helena's handiwork -- she did look marvelous. Her makeup was in shades of pink, and her lips were uniquely glossy. 

"Helena, my love! You are an angel," Y/N exclaimed, hugging her friend before rushing to the stage. Luckily, the curtain was still closed -- meaning the rehearsal had not yet initiated. Y/N found her mark in center stage, took her place, and listened to the orchestra begin their opening notes. 

***

Y/N winced as Carlotta's solo began. Carlotta's role was that of a Roman lady -- more specifically, a prostitute -- that manages to seduce Piangi, who was supposed to be courting Y/N. Despite the fact that Carlotta's character completely alters the plot of the show by destroying Y/N's relationship and causing her heartache and emotional journey, Carlotta had one small solo. 

Still, even Carlotta's few sung sentences were too much. 

As soon as they concluded, Y/N entered the stage from the righthand side, followed by several ballerinas. They manages to get halfway in when Madame Giry called for everyone to stop, in order to reprimand her dancers. 

Y/N's frustration was mounting as the rehearsal continued, because almost all of her fellow cast members were hungover. Apparently they had spent the previous night drinking in order to celebrate the first dress rehearsal. Even the ballerinas, many of them younger than Y/N, were stumbling over themselves far more than usual. 

Although she had been doing her best not too, Y/N looked up to Box Five to catch a glimpse of Erik. She saw only a corner of his mask, where the reflection of stage lights caused it to seem luminescent in the darkness. She could picture his gloved hands in the darkness of the box -- writing notes in his black leather folder in nearly-perfect penmanship. His frustration, she imagined, must be filling to the brim. 

***

She felt a bit silly by Act II, when she wore only her practice leotard, while the rest of the cast was completely dressed. 

Her silliness, she knew, dissipated as soon as she began singing 'Think Of Me'. She watched -- with a certain level of satisfaction -- as even the directors relaxed with the beauty of her voice. 

As she sang the final vocalizations, she looked up to Box Five, where she saw Erik. He was now standing, leaning forward over the edge of the railing, as if being beckoned by her voice. That was immensely satisfying. 

When she finished, she followed her choreography and ran after the direction where Piangi had exited just moments prior to her singing. 

***

After a long day of frustrating rehearsal Y/N went directly to her room. Luckily, she found a pot of tea waiting for her, curtesy of her friends in the kitchen. 

Alongside a cup of hot black tea, Y/N began writing her father:

Father -- 

I miss you, terribly so! I fear that either you have not been writing your daily letters (despite your previous promises to me), or the ballerinas are stealing my mail. Either option seems highly probably. 

Today I attended my first dress rehearsal with the rest of the performers -- unfortunately, it was less smooth than I had anticipated. The majority of the cast was fairly hungover after a night of preemptive celebration, meaning they were unable to do their best work. 

That being said, Helena has surpassed herself with my costumes, and I am quite proud of my performance. With the help of Erik -- the man I wrote of previously -- I believe this show will be my greatest. 

Speaking of Erik, I do hope I am able to convince him to have dinner with us. He is incredibly shy, but a genius and remarkably kind. I think you would like him. 

Tell Charles I love him dearly as well, and I look forward to your visits. Please tell me what dates you plan on coming, so I may reserve tickets to the show. 

With Love, 

Teddy. 

After concluding her letter, she folded it into an envelope and began heating some wax, humming to herself as she did so.