Chap. 49 - The Hidden World

Although the decision broke his core, Icarus had to order Delta to turn around and engage the TIE fighters while the Vulture units returned to the battlefield. Imperial starfighters were fast, and could surround and attack the Kestrel Nova from all directions. The vastness of the ship made it impossible for them to evade attacks, but at least the shields were tough enough to withstand bursts as their side and top cannons returned fire.

Gradually, the air battle intensified as they moved away from the area to get out of the line of sight of the orbiting Arquitens. While this wouldn't change things much in TIE engagements, getting out of the enemy commander's line of sight would give them an advantage. But this would mean leaving Tova and the gossam alone in the jungle.

Li Mu: - Over here. Fast. - He whispered to the little girl.

The gossam led the way, doing its best to remain unnoticed by the various stormtrooper patrols that roamed the area quite frequently. Being both short, it was not very difficult for them to hide behind the vegetation. On the one hand, Tova survived for a long time alone and at a very young age in the frigid mountains of Nelvaan, and she knew how to slip away, although Li Mu was much more experienced, and knew every step she had to take perfectly. It was strange, but that gossam didn't look like an ordinary one, and even the little girl could tell that even though she knew nothing of its kind.

 It was strange, but that gossam didn't look like an ordinary one, and even the little girl could tell that even though she knew nothing of its kind

Li Mu: - Quick. Here. -

The gossam pointed to a narrow crack on the surface, which seemed to lead to an underground passage. They had no idea where it led, but it was safer than wandering through the jungle with so many patrols around. Tova hesitated for a moment, as she did not feel very comfortable in narrow places, but after a while she decided to go inside, closely followed by the gossam who was constantly watching if anyone was following them.

The passage barely half a meter wide and one meter high was dark, however, what caught gossam's attention was a strange blue light that could be seen at the end. It wasn't certain, but it was possible that it led to some underground chamber, perhaps a cave system, if that was the case, they could find another way out as long as the compass inserted in his forearm guard worked correctly. But to his dismay, that was the first thing to stop working.

 But to his dismay, that was the first thing to stop working