Chapter 1

Squrriellpaw's POV

"Squirrelpaw, my love, it's time to wake up," came the soft voice of Starspeckle, and I blinked my green eyes open, meeting his captivating blue gaze. A smile spread across my muzzle, and I pressed it against his. "Morning," I muttered, returning his affection.

"Brambleclaw said we need to gather the cats. We have to leave, and soon," he said, his voice tinged with underlying stress. I noticed his eyes darting around the cave, ensuring that all the warriors were outside, assisting his parents in organizing the camp.

"Hey, hey, look at me," I mewed, my voice soft yet firm. He shifted his attention to me, and in that moment, I could have drowned in the depths of his gaze.

"Now, I want you to breathe with me," I said softly, and Starspeckle crinkled his snout but complied with my request. "In," I started, inhaling deeply. "Out," we exhaled together. We repeated this calming exercise a few times until Starspeckle closed his eyes, his composure restored. "Okay, let's go," I said, standing up and brushing against my mate before slipping out through the lichen-covered entrance.

Outside, my clanmates were bustling about, but they were all congregating below Highrock as Firestar summoned a clan meeting. His voice carried a sense of urgency that resonated more deeply than ever before, and I understood why Starspeckle was feeling so stressed.

Speaking of the ginger and white tom, he soon approached me, his fur brushing against mine. "We better not keep Father waiting," he said, slipping away towards the group of cats. I followed him, finding him standing by Brambleclaw and Sandstorm, my mother.

I pressed my nose against the ginger she-cat's, feeling the connection between us as we settled side by side. Firestar, our leader, addressed the restlessness caused by the looming threat of Twolegs. His words stirred a mix of unease and agreement among the cats, reflecting my own impatience. Why couldn't we leave already? I longed for action.

Firestar declared that he would lead a group, including himself, to ShadowClan first, hoping to persuade them to join us. The weight of the situation left us with no choice but to leave any clan behind that refused to stand with us. I sympathized with our leader, who tirelessly fought to keep the forest united.

As my attention turned to Starspeckle and his mother, Mistyheart, I watched Mistyheart gracefully descend from Highrock and touch noses with her son, their exchange of soft words unheard by me. Nearby, Starspeckle's sisters sat, emphasizing the significance of the moment. Firestar announced the chosen few—Starspeckle, Mistyheart, Sunfall, and Lillypetal—who would join him. Brambleclaw had the option to accompany them. Warm wishes and congratulations flowed from the clan, supporting their chosen path.

Starspeckle's nervousness was palpable, amplified by the prospect of encountering Tawnypelt. I understood his feelings, yet I knew his loyalty was unparalleled. As we neared the time for departure, I vowed to stand by his side, offering unwavering support in the face of uncertainty. Together, we would face the challenges ahead and fight for the survival of our clans.

◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥

"You'll do just fine," I reassured Starspeckle, affectionately licking his nose. He caught my gaze and blushed, his nerves still evident. I glanced over at his father, Brambleclaw, who had approached us. "You ready, son?" asked the ginger tom, his voice filled with a mix of pride and concern. Starspeckle flicked his tail, summoning his determination. "Ready, Father," he replied, his voice steady and resolute. With a nod exchanged between them, the patrol set off, disappearing into the tunnel. I stood there, my heart filled with a mixture of pride and worry, watching them until they were out of sight.

"They'll come back alive, don't worry," came the soothing voice of my mother, Sandstorm. I turned to face her, my expression reflecting my concern. Letting out a sigh, I admitted, "I know, but I can't help but worry. Blackstar is not the nicest cat, and persuading him won't be easy, if at all."

Sandstorm nodded understandingly, her amber eyes filled with empathy. She nudged me gently toward the warriors' cave, urging me to rest. "Go and get some sleep, my dear. I'll call you out if we need anything," she said, her voice filled with a mother's love and concern. I gave her a narrowed stare, reluctant to leave, but then she ran her tail down my flank, a knowing smile on her face. "You're expecting kits, my dear. You need to take care of yourself."