Chapter 8

Leafpaw's POV

I couldn't believe what I was seeing right in front of me.

Flames had engulfed the den, and now the Twolegs were running around like frantic kittens, their heads held high. They screamed and barked orders, but none noticed the looming shadow crossing over the sun, descending toward a bloody horizon.

Teeth longer than any claws I had ever seen, claws sharper than even the keenest bone, scraped against the ground as the monstrous creature landed. "What... or who is that?" Cody whimpered, retreating into the safety of the cage.

"I... I..." I couldn't form any words. I had seen Starpseckle as a dragon before, but never like this, so colossal, so bloodthirsty. I wasn't even sure if it was the same kind-hearted cat I had once known, the one I had fallen for.

The beast turned its head towards the den, revealing a glint of large, bloody teeth. Soon, as a Twoleg tried to stop it, it tore limb from limb, leaving a trail of destruction in its wake. The creature approached us, knocking down the den with a sweep of its wing. Its massive head came into view, and its two blazing blue eyes locked onto mine. I fell silent, frozen like a deer caught in headlights.

"Leafpool," it purred and stretched forward, its massive jaws crushing the cage. I was free. "S-Starpseckle," I stuttered, but the creature backed away and smiled kindly. "It's me, Leafpool. Now, get yourselves out," it said, turning to the other captive cats and releasing them with a gentle bite or swipe of its claws. Cloudtail and Brightheart approached us, followed by Mistyfoot and Cody. As we crawled out of the den, Starpseckle remained inside, seemingly unfamiliar, until all the cats were freed. "Go, go, go," he growled, urging them away.

Now that everyone was gone, Starpseckle turned to us and lowered his head. "Climb onto my back," he said. We used his scales as footholds and held on tightly as he rose into the air, his massive wings causing the flames to scatter like water. "But what about our clans?" Mistyfoot asked. Starpseckle purred in response, "They have departed. I know where they are." And off we went, soaring over the flames in the sky.

Starpseckle's scales were sleek, but they had numerous hooks and small horns we could grip onto. Before long, we were away from the forest, soaring through the skies.

◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥

 I hadn't realized I had dozed off until I felt Brightheart gently nudge me awake. "Wake up, Leafpool. We've stopped for the night," she said, her voice soft. I blinked and noticed we were in a clearing surrounded by large, smooth stones glistening in the moonlight. Starpseckle had laid himself down on his belly so that we could disembark. Mistyfoot and Cody had already gotten off and were searching for places to rest. Cloudtail was waiting for me and Brightheart.

"Was it all just a dream?" I asked. A rumbling purr was all the response I received. "No, Leafpool, it was all real," Starpseckle's kind face appeared, and I felt my heart pound harder, warmth spreading through me.

I glanced away but made my way down to the ground safely. I nestled myself and began searching for a cozy nook to sleep away from the chilly breeze that weaved through the tree trunks. "Sleep here," Starpseckle said, nudging me towards the corner made by his toes.

My ears grew warm, but I padded over and settled myself down. Starpseckle smiled and rested his head behind his claw. "Sleep well," he said, and everything soon fell quiet again.

The next time I was awakened was by the warm breath of Starpseckle brushing against my back. I was startled but quickly blinked awake and met his gentle eyes. They were tired, but I knew he would go to the ends of the earth for his clan.

Just something I would do for him, I thought, shaking my head. I couldn't entertain such thoughts. He already had a mate, and I was a medicine cat. I couldn't be with him no matter how much I desired it.

"The morning sun has woken us, Leafpool. Come on," he said warmly, nudging me to my paws. "A morning bird awaits someone." And off we went again. This time, I was more alert as we soared through the sky. The sky was blue, but I could see rain on the horizon. I took deep breaths, inhaling and exhaling. It felt peaceful to fly as if it were what I had always been meant to do. I didn't look down at the stunned creatures below; I only looked ahead, envisioning a future for our clan, all four clans, under a new set of stars.