Chapter 25

Squrrielflight's POV

I never thought I would come to this point, but... With Starsepwe can overcome this cycle by my side and our young ones, we can over the burdens and battles of the clan are far from over; I know we can get through it because that's who we are – clan cats. We may fall, but we rise again, more vital than ever.

And even the shadows that loom over us will never be able to gain a foothold, not in this forest, not as long as I live.

"Squirrelflight, are you alright?" a voice mewed, pulling me out of my thoughts. I blinked a couple of times before turning around and seeing Starsepckle lying beside me. The sunlight danced on his white and orange fur, making him look like a cat from legends.

"Uh, yeah," I stuttered, but my mate purred and nuzzled forward, licking my cheek. "It's fine if you want to return to your nests, but I was thinking maybe we should swim in the river. It's about time to hone your swimming skills, isn't it?" he said, flicking my ear with his tail as he got up and padded towards the glistening river. I let out a mirthful purr and followed him, brushing against his side before I purred, "Of course, but you'll have to catch me first!" Then I dashed off.

I heard him coming after me, and I laughed as he playfully tackled me, and we lay there for a while, just gazing at each other. "Ew, why are our parents always so... mushy?" I heard a soft voice, and both Starsepckle and I turned around to find our daughter with her brothers sitting by the riverbank. I purred with amusement and got up. Starsepckle walked over to our young ones. "What are you rascals doing here?" he asked, giving them each a kiss on the forehead.

"Father, we came here because Firestar said we should look for you. You have clan duties to attend to," Falconpaw said, shaking himself off.

I smiled to myself. Ah yes, I thought and sighed that I had forgotten, but I went over to my kits and gently nudged them. "Well, join your father on the hunt. I'll talk to Firestar about what I should do," I said, and the kits nodded. They ran off the river with their father, and I went to the camp. Soon, I found Firestar sitting under a tree with his mate Mistyheart, both sharing an affectionate moment. "Ahem," I cleared my throat, and both cats turned towards me. Mistyheart smiled at me. "Squirrelflight, hello, dear," she purred. I nodded warmly to the gray she-cat before turning to my leader. "My kits told me you wanted me and our son back for tasks. What are your thoughts?"

Firestar smiled and stood up, approaching me. You can go with Brambleclaw and another patrol. You haven't been on one for a while," he said. I nodded, dipping my head in gratitude to ThunderClan's leader before finding Brambleclaw. He was sitting by the Highrock, staring out with a vacant look.

"Brambleclaw," I murmured, and the dark-striped cat turned his raven-yellow eyes toward me. He dipped his head. "Squirrelflight."

"Id like to know if we should go on patrol together. Firestar asked us to," I said, flicking my tail towards where the other cats were gathered, some in pairs and others alone. Brambleclaw nodded, and we picked a patrol and padded out of the camp together.

I wish we had been more cautious about where we placed our paws.