Chapter 16

Leafpool's POV

I couldn't believe what Mistyheart was telling us. Had Bluestar, our old leader, really spoken to her? Of course, she had, I thought, feeling frustrated with myself for doubting her. Mistyheart is the most honorable she-cat I know, and I can't go around thinking that Bluestar wouldn't speak to her old friend. My head was pounding, and I sighed, realizing I needed rest.

I turned to Cinderpelt and spoke, "I need to get some rest," I told the gray she-cat. She nodded understandingly and flicked her tail, saying, "Take your time. I want to have a talk with Firestar and Mistyheart about the dream. I believe there's more to be told." With that, she padded off, and I settled into the medicine cat's den, nestling down in my nest.

My head still ached, but the pain was subsiding. I tried to doze off, but my mind was still racing with thoughts.

"I'll never get a breath of sleep, will I?" I sighed, pawing at my face in frustration. I stood up, leaving the den and looking around the camp. Unconsciously, my paws led me away from the center, and I found myself near WindClan territory.

The scent of WindClan filled my nostrils, and I recoiled. Why did my paws bring me here? As I wondered, the bushes rustled, and out came the familiar sleek black pelt of Crowfeather. Our eyes met, and he hissed, "Leafpool, what are you doing here?"

Taken aback by his tone, I dipped my head and mumbled an apology. "Well, are you going to tell me why you're even here?" he asked, his irritation evident.

I sighed and shook my head. "I-I don't know. I just wanted to walk because I couldn't sleep, and my paws took me here. I was lost in my thoughts, and I guess I ended up here accidentally. I'm sorry," I explained.

As I turned to pad back toward camp, I heard Crowfeather call after me, "Wait!"

I stopped and turned around to face the black warrior. "Any news-" I knew he was about to ask about Starsepckle, and I snapped, "No! I have no news of him, for StarClan's sake! I'm not his mate, I'm not his sister, and I'm certainly not his mother. Stop bothering me about him; I'm a medicine cat!"

Crowfeather seemed taken aback by my sudden outburst, and, honestly, even I was surprised at my reaction. Feeling overwhelmed, I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. "I'm sorry," I said, trying to regain my composure. "I don't know what came over me."

"No, you're right," Crowfeather replied, sounding subdued. He avoided meeting my eyes. "I should've thought of that. I know you're fond of him too. Many cats are, but he had to choose that faithless she-cat." His claws worked on the ground, and I felt myself tense up. I didn't like the way he spoke of my sister.

"Careful," I warned, my voice low. "It's my sister you're speaking about." Crowfeather let out a sigh of frustration.

"Sorry," he said, then he whipped around and stalked off, leaving me to stare after his tail as it disappeared behind a few gorse bushes.

◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥

I stepped into the camp, one eye half-closed now. I hated feeling tired.

"Hey, are you alright?" came a deep, smooth voice, and I turned to see Starspeckle walking towards me, his blue eyes clouded with worry. I stiffened, unsure if I should tell him the truth. Would he understand? I sighed inwardly, trying to maintain composure. "I'm fine," I told him, my tone neutral.

Starspeckle raised an eyebrow, not convinced. "You don't look like it, Leafpool. You seem like you've been walking all night," he said, touching his tail to my shoulder. "Is something bothering you? Even if your sister is my mate, I'm still your friend, and I'll always be. You can tell me anything."

But that's precisely what I can't do, I wanted to say. I wanted to bury my nose in his fur and pour out all my troubles, but the truth had to remain hidden. "I'm fine, trust me," I said instead, walking off without another word.

As I arrived in the medicine den, I saw Cinderpelt still up, probably talking to Mistyheart and Firestar all night. I scoffed and curled up in my nest. Finally, for the first time since the meeting, I could sleep without StarClan interfering or overwhelming feelings haunting me.

Just peace.