Chapter 23

Sqiurrilflight's POV

I didn't know what to think when Leafpool brought Starspeckle back to the camp as a cat. I had been apprehensive about her when she turned and ran back towards the clearing, but Ashfur had stopped me from chasing after her, so we went home. But now... "You knew that she might bring Starspeckle back!" I hissed and spun around to swat the gray-speckled tom on the nose.

Ashfur screamed and spat as he leaped away, blood dripping from three scratches on his nose. He extended his tongue to one of them before spitting it onto the grass, flexing his paw pads and glaring at me. "So what? Wouldn't you want him back?"

"Of course!" I snapped and swiped at him again, but he leaped out of the way this time. "But I thought I could do what I'm meant for, for StarClan's sake!"

Ashfur glared before lashing his tail. "Stupid she-cat, can't you see your sister fancies your mate? Can't you see she's as twisted as your precious exiled Starspeckle? That's why he returned because he fancies her too!" he hissed. I snorted, "Starspeckle is a loyal cat; he would never return just because he fancies my sister, which he doesn't!"

Ashfur shook his head and started padding away. "You're as blind as a mole!" he muttered before disappearing into the medicine den.

I trembled so much from anger that I didn't notice the tail that wrapped around my shoulders before a voice whispered in my ear, "Squirrelflight, what's wrong?" I jumped and spun around but calmed down when I saw my mate's kind, warm eyes. No hostility remained in them, only love. I knew it; he wouldn't betray me for Leafpool.

"Oh, uh, nothing Starspeckle, I... just had a little argument with Ashfur, that's all," I stuttered and looked away from his intense gaze. I felt worse than I thought I would if Starspeckle had left me for my sister. D... do I like Ashfur? I thought. Impossible.

Starspeckle hummed before rubbing his nose against me. "I apologize for being so... angry when you tried to bring me home. I should have thought about our kits and you, not just myself," he sighed. I looked up and purred softly, "You were doing what you thought was best." Starspeckle snorted and flicked his tail. "Yes, for stubborn reasons," he spat. "I thought that if I weren't near the Clan anymore, the dragon inside me would disappear, and maybe I could just return home. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized I had made a huge mistake. I killed Firestar, and no cat will trust me again." He sank to the ground, shaking.

My heart ached, and I lay down beside him. "I trust you, Starspeckle and our kits do too," I said softly, licking his cheek, but Starspeckle didn't look up. I sighed and stood up again. Maybe I should bring his father here, I thought. Perhaps Firestar can show that he still cares about his son. I searched through the crowd of cats that had gathered around us and spotted the white, beautiful fur of Mistyheart flicker by. "Mistyheart!" I called out and trotted over to the graceful she-cat. She stopped and turned towards me, her blue eyes shimmering like sapphires. "Squirrelflight, hey, how's it going with Starspeckle?" she asked. I smiled and approached her even closer.

"Well, he's remorseful for everything he's done, and I was wondering if you and Firestar could be kind enough to talk to him. He needs his parents," I said. Mistyheart's eyes welled up before she nodded silently and padded away. "Well done," a soft voice chimed in next to me, and I turned to see Leafpool sitting there, huddled up.

"There you are," I purred and rubbed against my sister. "Are you doing okay?" She nodded and sat up straight.

"I'm just glad to have brought our Starspeckle back," she meowed before dipping her head and trotting off to the medicine den. I smiled and stretched, glancing at the clearing where Starspeckle sat with his parents. They were all speaking in hushed tones, and I could tell it was a moment I shouldn't interrupt. I padded to the warrior's den and settled in my nest. My kits were in the apprentice den, as after Fireheart had fully recovered, he had decided it was time for them to start their training. Brambleclaw mentored Falconpaw, Sandstorm mentored Dawnpaw, and Brackenfur mentored Emberpaw. Everyone seemed content, and that's all I cared about.

◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥

The sun had just begun its ascent on the horizon as I leisurely stepped out of the warriors' den. I stretched my hind legs, arching my back, and let out a hearty yawn. "Did you sleep well, my love?" a voice chimed beside me. I turned to find Starspeckle, his white and ginger fur glistening in the soft morning light. I grinned and replied, "Indeed I did, and you?" He purred as he nuzzled against my fur, "Absolutely splendid, thank you." Together, we made our way towards the fresh-kill pile, where Sandstorm conversed with Dawnpaw. The two she-cats looked up as we approached, and Dawnpaw's face lit up with joy. She bounded over to us, rubbing her shoulders against ours, exclaiming, "Dad, Mom, you're here!"

"Indeed, we are, sweetheart," I chuckled and affectionately licked the ginger and white she-cat on her head. "How's the training coming along?" Dawnpaw beamed at me, her excitement evident. "It's going well! Sandstorm is an amazing mentor." Behind my enthusiastic daughter, Sandstorm laughed and rose to her paws, stretching a bit. "Oh, thank you, Dawnpaw. But I'm sure your siblings have equally wonderful mentors," she purred. Dawnpaw grinned, shaking her head playfully. "No way! None can compare!" I exchanged an amused glance with Starspeckle before he flicked his tail and spoke, "I should go check in with Mistyheart and see what she needs." With that, he walked away gracefully.

"He's quite the character, isn't he?" Sandstorm purred, casting a knowing glance my way. I playfully brushed her ear with my tail and reassured her, "Don't worry, he's just a little disoriented. He's been away for a few days; you know that." Sandstorm snorted softly, then shifted her attention to her apprentice. "Alright, Dawnpaw, let's go. I promised Brackenfur you'd get to train with your brother today." Dawnpaw shot off after Sandstorm with a delighted squeal; her tail held high in excitement.

With a sigh, I selected a plump dove from the fresh-kill pile. I padded to a secluded corner to savor it alone despite Starspeckle's return just the day before and the awareness that it would take time for the Clan to fully embrace him again; an undeniable sense of contentment washed over me. The anticipation of a brighter future with my mate and our growing kits gave me hope. Even though the present might hold its challenges, the sun was still shining, and newleaf, the most vibrant season, was in full swing. At this moment, it was hard to fathom anything going awry.