★ | 020. pretending to be happy

Book: Male Reader Imagines, Cassie Howard
Chapter 20: Pretending To Be Happy
Word Count: 1027

Book: Male Reader Imagines, Cassie HowardChapter 20: Pretending To Be HappyWord Count: 1027

"She's just so amazing, Cass. I don't think you understand." [name] gushed for the hundredth time, a dreamy look on his face. He was so distracted that he didn't see the rage slowly building up in Cassie.

Listening to the guy you were in love with talk about his new girlfriend would do that.

"What do you think of her?" [name] suddenly turned his head and asked the question.

The answer was easy. "I hate her. I hate her with everything in me. I wish she would get hit by a bus. I wish you could see that I'm so much better for you. We would be perfect together." But she didn't say that. And she regretted it.

"She seems nice." She said, not even being able to hold back a wince.

He raised his eyebrows. "I saw that."

"Saw what?" She tried to play it off.

"Saw what." He repeated her with a raise of his eyebrows. "The wince. Why the wince?"

She pursed her lips. "Do you really want to know?"

"I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want to know."

She looked down at her hands, fiddling with her fingers. "I just... I just don't know if she's right for you."

Instantly his face tensed and he narrowed his eyes. "What do you mean?" He wanted her to elaborate.

"I - I - " She was struggling to get the words out. She didn't want to say the wrong thing to upset him. "Just... don't think she's right for you."

"Yeah, you said that the first time. It's not a good reason, Cassie." His voice was getting harsh. He was getting agitated. This was not good.

"I think you could do better." She blurted out. "I mean - fuck - you could do so much better."

"Better than her? She's perfect - "

"No, she isn't and she's not even you're type!" She exclaimed. "She has brown hair, you like blondes!"

"Her hair colour is the reason I shouldn't date her? Are you fucking kidding me?" He snapped. "This is ridiculous." He huffed.

He went to stand up but she grabbed his hand, looking at him was pleading eyes. "Please don't leave. I didn't mean to upset you. Besides, you asked. I'm just being honest."

"Okay, we'll your honesty is having stupid reasons for not liking my girlfriend, how did you think I would react?"

She was glad when he didn't pull his hand away and she took the opportunity to feel the warmth he was extending to her. "You want a better reason?" She looked up at him through his lashes.

"Yeah." He nodded his head.

"It's because - "

His phone rang. She was just about to confess her love for him and his fucking phone rang. He took his hand from hers and looked at it, a smile instantly lighting up his face. That smile made her heart flutter. "It's Elena." He said.

And just like that, a crack formed in her heart, forming all the way up to her eyes where she had to hold back tears.

The way his face instantly lit up at her name, the way his voice softened and the way his eyes shined with love for a girl he had only just started seeing. He was infatuated with her. And just like that, Cassie knew she didn't have a chance. He wouldn't leave Elena for her. And if she loved him as much as she said, she should let him be happy.

He sent a quick text back to Elena before putting his phone away and looking at Cassie again. "What we're you going to say?"

She took a shaky breath. "...you're right, that are stupid reasons. I - I guess I was just jealous because we weren't spending as much time together." Her tongue burned with her words, like someone had put a cigarette out on the tip.

"That's it?" He relaxed and smiled at her. "Cassie, if you were feeling neglected you should have told me, we can spend more time together. You can even hang out with me and Elena sometimes if you want."

That sounded like a nightmare and she didn't think she'd be able to hold back her glares or mean comments towards the brunette. "Yeah, that sounds nice."

He nodded his head. "So you actually like her?"

"Yeah... she's cool." She could have gotten an award with the acting she was doing right now.

"The coolest." His phone dinged again. Another text from Elena. "She wants me to come over." He texted back before sitting down next to her.

"You're not leaving?" Cassie furrowed her eyebrows. "I thought she wanted you to come over?"

"She does but I just said I would spend more time with you so I will. Elena will understand. She knows you're my best friend." He knocked her shoulder with his.

'Friends. What a shitty fucking word that was.' Cassie thought. 'How can you not see? You're supposed to know me better then anyone.'

She tried to push out the negative thoughts. [name] was choosing to spend time with her over Elena, she saw that as a win in her book.

"So, what do you want to watch?" He laid back on the bed and put his hands behind his head.

She climbed up next to him and laid her head on his shoulder, a friendly gesture to him but it meant everything to her. "How about a romance movie?" She bit her lip. She might have to accept him being with Elena but that doesn't mean she had to stop her favourite pass time: watching romance movies while cuddling up with [name].

He rolled his eyes and groaned. "Fine. Just not the notebook again. Anything but the notebook."

She moved her head, keeping it on his shoulder but eyes connected with the side of his face. "We are so going to watch the notebook again."

"The things I do for you." He shook his head. "Put on the movie princess."

★ ★ ★

Authors Note: See below!

Consider supporting me on Patreon and/or following me on YouTube 💕 Links in my bio